PDA

View Full Version : Kill games advantage or disadvantage?

pretender2k
12-09-2003, 04:14 AM
I was playing a kill game on UB just to get on a table quickly because I only had an hour to play.

My question is what advantages or disadvantages should I be thinking about on this game. I understand the rules to it and I am a player that only sees about 28 or 29 percent flops generally. I don't see myself being faced with putting up the extra money very often at all as I would rarely be in a situation of winning to hands in a row but more likely benefitting by extra being in the pot when I do win.

Any thoughts.

easypete
12-09-2003, 12:30 PM
I host a game every week. We started to play kill pots.

I'm still a relative newbie, but I have some things I keep in mind.

1. Don't kill the pot if having to post a BB means that you have to put up 1/2 or 1/3 of the pot you just won. (If I just won the previous pot, and I'm on the SB with no callers ahead, I will either try to win it right there with a raise (to avoid a kill pot), or fold.)
2. Having just lost a big pot, and having to be in the BB is a psychological disadvantage. Use it against the BB (if it's not you), don't fall into traps if it is you.
3. The kill game is just like any other game. I don't change my strategy (unless others at the table are afraid of the kill game.... you can't see that online as easy).

Over all, I find that the kill games end up increasing my hourly rate by 1 or 2 BB. Kill games are usually short handed, and plays are easier to make against weaker players.

Hope this helps a little.

SevenStuda
12-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Kill games penalize piss poor players who are too often "in it to win it,"

pretender2k
12-09-2003, 03:19 PM
I think I do like these games as I have learned to use it against the blinds and I rarely have to post the extra bets.

Brian
12-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi Pretender,

I was just browsing through this forum and couldn't help but notice you "only" see about 30% of the Flops. You should post some hands in the Small Stakes forum, as I think you may be playing way too loosely.

-Brian

coolhandsun
12-10-2003, 01:22 PM
stupid question, what is a kill game?

rkiray
12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
A kill game is one where the stakes raise when a criteria is met. At UB it's the same player winning two hands in a row (very small pots are excluded from this). At some card rooms the kill happens every time the pot is a certain size (hopefully fairly large). UB has kill and 1/2 kill games. If you are playing 2/4 and kill a pot, the next round is 4/8 and the killer posts a $4 blind (sb is still $1, and bb is $2, but if they want to play they will have to call at least $4). in a 1/2 kill it will be 3/6 with killer posting $3. I wish UB would not offer these. I think all the options contributes to UB having games break fequently or go short handed. If there is a mix of players who only prefer a certain type of game then there isn't as big a pool as there is at say Paradise.

CORed
12-10-2003, 04:39 PM
If the 30% includes blinds, and there isn't much preflop raising, 30% isn't too bad. Same applies if he plays a significant amount of short-handed.