PDA

View Full Version : 33 hand

David Steele
12-08-2003, 06:09 PM
15-30 typical looshish game.

3 limpers, cutoff raises, Button folds
I call with 33 in the SB. BB folds everyone else calls,
5 players to the flop.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

checked around

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

checked to the last player ( pre-flop raiser ) who bets.
I check-raise, next 2 players fold, one player cold-calls, raiser calls.

River: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around and my hand was good.

Comments?

Myles Zorro
12-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I can see preflop call seems a bit loose,I might of thrown it away in some situations. On the turn check raising the whole field with threee overcards seems hopeless because their a flush draw and some idiot might call with a pair of 9s. If your so bloody confident why didnt you bet the river. You got lucky bud.

mike l.
12-09-2003, 02:12 PM
"If your so bloody confident why didnt you bet the river."

it's rarely this simple in limit hold em.

checking the river here is the correct play because he may get a bluff out of a missed flush or straight draw, and better yet, after showing such strength on the turn he may get a better hand like A4 or something to check the river. the whole hand was well played.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't a 9 have bet on the turn after it was checked to him twice?

Zeno
12-09-2003, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You got lucky bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Steele is Canadian, he was born lucky. As mike pointed out, he played the hand mighty well.

An interesting point is that the hand was checked around on the river, so I wonder if Mr. Steele would have called a river bet? - I think it would have been dependent on who may have bet etc.

-Zeno

andyfox
12-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Unlikely that 7 on the river helped the pre-flop raiser. And he might not even bet it if it did. Might be that he'd be more likely to bet a no pair hand.

elysium
12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
hi david
from the SB, bet out on the river in that situation. the 7 is a good scare card that may have given someone else a higher pair. you must bet these against a max. of 2 opponents.

James282
12-09-2003, 07:46 PM
The beauty of this hand was the turn check-raise(I assume you would have check-raised the flop if the preflop raiser bet, as well?). One thing a lot of people struggle with is using check-raises to clear the field, and not just use it for value. When that deuce comes, you know for 100% fact that a preflop raiser will bet, he has to. He "knows" nobody has a pair after the flop and turn were checked.

1 Bet screams "Hey guys, I was a wuss on the flop with my middle pair and this deuce really doesn't help me" or "Look, a pair of 2s! Come with your overcards!!" This check-raise makes it drastically improper for any overcards to call except the original bettor and either a gutshot with overcards(KQ), a flush draw, or QJ. Anybody with less than top pair on the flop can't really like his hand here, and surely even these fools would have bet top pair. The check-raise to clear the field has got to be one of the most powerful plays in poker if you can spot when to use it.

The river check seems obvious. No one is going to call with just overcards now, and nobody is betting out with a middle pair because they want a free showdown. You might get a bet from a busted draw or overcards because they might think that this is their only way to pick up the pot. Well played over all, although I would probably fold this preflop since you can't be assured of your implied odds on this hand, and definitely can't be assured of winning without a showdown.
Peace,
James

JFrank
12-10-2003, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
15-30 typical looshish game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that perhaps the game is too loose to execute this kind of isolation attempt

David Steele
12-10-2003, 12:04 PM
What kind of hands are you worried about calling the check-raise?

D.

David Steele
12-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the comments! I really don't have too many doubts about this hand, I posted it because it is unusual to be dealt such a clearly correct example of the turn isolation while at the same time seeming a bit thin.

I assume you would have check-raised the flop if the preflop raiser bet, as well?

I am not so sure about that, there are too many hands that may have checked to the raiser and the raiser could be for real betting into so many players, the 10-9 makes the board somewhat coordinated. My first reaction would be to fold but it has to be close.

D.