PDA

View Full Version : Kowardly Kowboys?

Analyst
12-08-2003, 04:58 PM
6/12 last week at Bay101, the table seemed pretty loose-aggressive although it was too early in the session to be certain. I'm in the SB and look down to see one of my favorite (and least favorite!) hands - KK.

UTG limps, 1 MP limps, CO limps, button limps, I raise, BB calls, UTG 3-bets (Danger! Danger! Danger!), MP calls, CO folds, button folds, I cap, BB and UTG call

Flop is J-rag-rag rainbow. No reasonable straight possibility.

I bet, BB calls, UTG raises, MP folds, I 3-bet, BB calls, UTP caps. My read of the conversation was the UTG asking if I was serious, my reply was "Sure am - how about you?", his was "Now I know you're serious, but so am I!" I'd no read on what the BB was doing in the pot at this point - he must've known that he was squeezed.

Turn was an A - not exactly what I was hoping to see! I check, BB bets (huh? did he make a set on the flop?), UTG raises, I fold, BB calls. My read here was that UTG must have had either AK or AA, and that I was doomed in either case. Might he have had something like KQs? I don't think he would've raised the flop with that, certainly not cap it.

River was a rag, and BB folded to UTG's bet; UTG showed AA to the table. BB had Ax (not 2 pair), and I have no idea why he stayed in.

Comments on streets and my read are most welcome. Also, the big question I still have is if BB had checked the turn, I planned on going into check/call mode till the end - a good idea, or would it still be right to muck KK on the turn?

Edge34
12-08-2003, 05:49 PM
I'd say your read and your by-the-street plays are just fine. However, since your two most reliable reads you have on UTG are either AK or AA, I think you pretty much have to check-fold to the turned Ace, especially with that pesky BB sticking around for so long. At best, you're looking at two outs to hit your set, and that's only assuming it would make you a winner. Good play on that dangerous turn.

badboy
12-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Coward? I think you played that hand with the right amount of testicular fortitude. Bet it strong until you're convinced that you're beat. Playing at the Bay, huh? That's my place as well.

onegymrat
12-08-2003, 09:31 PM
I like your turn fold. Next time, show the other flop cards. Rags to you may be gold to others.

Inthacup
12-08-2003, 09:56 PM
BB sure made it easy for you to fold on the turn.

Do you think UTG would cap the flop with AK? I don't. When he caps the flop after you capped preflop, you gotta put him on QQ at LEAST. I'd put him on AA before QQ.

Assuming an A didn't fall on the turn, I'd probably check call the turn and river.

Cup