PDA

View Full Version : NL starting hands

thomaspynchon
12-08-2003, 10:25 AM
per sklansky, relative values of starting hands differ substantially for NL as opposed to limit games. can someone direct me to a good analysis of this?
thanks

SevenStuda
12-08-2003, 12:43 PM
AA + limpers = All in.

lostinthought
12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
I don't know of a direct analysis (like a NL regrouping), but I've noticed a couple things about starting hands.

1) There are defintely trap hands , that would be playable in limit, but can make easily lose your stack in NL. (e.g. K10o). It seems like the reoccuring problem is that if you make a big bet with some of these hands, the only people that will call and re-raise you are people that definitely have you beat. Compare this to where you have bottom set and someone else has tptk.

2) Deceptive hands go way up in value in you hit the flop well, but you want to be able to see the flop for cheaper. (pocket pairs, med. suited connecters)

This is all pretty much common knowledge, but I am not sure if I can translate this into a concrete hand analysis, besides the above post (I am willing to go all in preflop with AA).

There are probably many more experienced NL players on here that can share some valuable advice. Between the above information and thinking alot about pot odds, implied odds, and nl pot manipulation I have had more success winning in nl tables and picking better starting hands..

hope this helps

thomaspynchon
12-20-2003, 05:27 PM
thank you! i'll try to remember that!