PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Question

Anadrol 50
12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Is it wrong for me to play online poker while at work ?

How many others do this and for what percentage of their workday ?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Depends on what you do for work and what your employer expects from you.

I never play at work, but I do post on 2+2.

Easy E
12-08-2003, 11:20 AM
as is posting from work (so I don't have a very high moral stand to preach from).

Let's say it this way- could you go in and tell your boss what you are doing? If not, you have your answer.

Anadrol 50
12-08-2003, 11:25 AM
No, I would be fired on the spot. But my boss would also fire me for posting 2+2....

Is surfing the web equal to playing online ???

southerndog
12-08-2003, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Is surfing the web equal to playing online ???

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave a definition of work that said "A place where people surf the internet and send email"

Don't worry about it.

Easy E
12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
since that's personal.

I'm there with you 100%, but even I have to admit that I'm "cheating." I try to keep it limited to start/end of day and lunchtimes, but it's tough....

1-800-PSURFER (Poker Surfers Anonymous) The first step is admitting that you don't care if you have a problem....

mosch
12-08-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm effectively self-employed, so nobody would tell me to stop, but I'd fire any of my employees in a heartbeat if I caught them playing online poker on my dime. There's a big difference between doing a little web surfing and playing poker.

Jeffage
12-08-2003, 06:13 PM
I have never and would never play poker at work. I made the personal decision when I started my first real job that I wouldn't surf 2plus2 at work...I did it at some of my internships at college and it's just way too addictive. Love the site but it can be a productivity killer, and I'm usually pretty busy.

Jeff

Easy E
12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Personal use is personal use.

Jeffage
12-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Many jobs (including mine) allow limited personal use of the Internet...most workplaces have some sort of policy in place on this that allows workers to use the Internet for personal reasons PROVIDED they aren't skimping on their other work or doing it all the time. If unsure, it is best to ask for clarification before doing excessive web surfing.

Jeff

Duke
12-08-2003, 10:23 PM
It has to do with your employer's expectations. If you have a salary job where all they care about is what you get done, then I say go for it, just finish your projects ahead of schedule, and even invite your boss to play with you. If you can't do that, then you probably shouldn't.

~D

blackriver
12-09-2003, 03:24 AM
I used to work construction, and I would bust my ass day in and day out. Always hoping for a raise that I never got. One of my co-workers asked me why do you work so hard. I replied so I can get a raise. Then he said "man I just work enough to keep my job". I blew it off thinking he's a bum why should I take his advice. It took me a year and a half to realize that I wasn't going to get a raise, or even a thank you for my hard work.

The moral of the story is. stick'em work just enough to keep your job, and then make some cash on the side.

Ray Zee
12-09-2003, 03:31 AM
stealing time from your company is the same as stealing money as the end result may be the same thing. if its accepted then okay if not then dont.

chesspain
12-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Blah, blah, blah...work on your rationalizations--you'll need them when you're at your workers compensation and Social Security Disability hearings whining your back injury case.

ACPlayer
12-09-2003, 06:01 PM
If you were the employer paying someone out of yout pocket to work for you and he spends his time (even limited) playing poker on-line would you feel good about writing him a check every week?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-09-2003, 06:06 PM
If he were a sales guy exceeding quota every quarter I'd look the other way without a second thought. In every other case I'd fire his a$$.

spike
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Why not just increase his quota and ask him to cut out playing poker on company time?

scotnt73
12-09-2003, 06:17 PM
depends on the job. as a network guy ive worked night shifts where they didnt care what i did as long as i ran diagnostics on the network every few hours. I was into everquest back then and would play all night. my current job as long as the network is up and running noone cares what i do which leaves lots of free time so i post here but i dont gamble because gambling on company time is a fireable offence here. /images/graemlins/blush.gif