PDA

View Full Version : A 10 off UTG played corrected??

Garland
12-08-2003, 06:50 AM
I'm UTG with A 10 offsuit and decide to make a "loose" call in a game with a bunch of loose players. Next guy folds, next guy raises and it's called by two others (SB and BB) and I call as well. The flop comes A Q 10 rainbow.

I bet out, original raiser raises, SB, BB fold, I reraise and he calls.

Turn comes a K which completes the rainbow. I bet out and he calls.

River comes a blank, and I bet out again, and he raises...I think about it for about 20 seconds and I fold deciding that I'm not letting morbid curiosity get the best of my wallet.

I'm pretty sure he's raising with the nut (J) and that he either had JJ or AJ and probably had AJ due to his initial raise. (who knows? maybe he raised with JJ to try to spook me or get a free card to spike the K?). I highly doubt he has AQ (else, he caps the flop) or AK because I don't think he would have the stones to raise the river with the one card straight out there...but in any of these scenarios, I'm a beaten man.

Anyhow, I'm sorry about missing some of the details as I can't remember everything that happened except the fact that I lost. Did I do anything wrong here? I didn't want to lose my admittedly aggressive act, and I certainly didn't want him intimidating me if I checked the turn. Perhaps it was best if I folded it preflop altogether =). Anyhow, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Garland

Howard Burroughs
12-08-2003, 08:54 AM
I would lean towards mucking UTG myself.

I would call on the river but maybe that's a hole in MY game.

Best of Luck

Howard

SevenStuda
12-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Piss poor limp UTG, you got what was comming. Piss poor bet on the turn, and even worse fold on the river. Where do you play? Think you could get me into your game?

Ed Miller
12-08-2003, 02:18 PM
You absolutely have to muck ATo from UTG and it's not close. This is basically not a profitable limp in any game, no matter how soft.

Once you are called on the turn, you have to suspect that you are beaten. If you choose to bet the river, you absolutely have to fold to a raise (so those who are telling you to pay off are off-base). You simply have to be beaten.

Garland
12-08-2003, 03:57 PM
While I have no doubts that A10o is a poor limp UTG, my questions lie about the play afterwards. I like to experiment a little, and I learn from my mistakes, so I'm fine with my decision. Otherwise, I play like a rock and win quite a bit in loose games.

Thanks for your take though.

Garland

adrianus
12-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Preflop is a fold and it is not close! Don't fall for the trap to play looser cause your opponents do.

Flopplay is good. You are probably ahead but the board looks scary: bet and raise!!!

Turnplay: bet or check and call. What do you do if you get raised here? I would probably check and call although I hate to lose the lead.

Riverplay: Board looks as scarry to you as your opponent: he must have something. Check and call for the potodds. At least you can see what he has for your bet. Expect to lose though. By betting do you expect a worse hand to call (what?) or a better hand to fold (what?).

Save energy and just muck preflop, oke!

gl Adrianus

ohkanada
12-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Fold pre-flop!

Check/call the river.

elysium
12-10-2003, 01:11 PM
hi gar
you can see why entering in with AT from that position is a no no; even when you flop solidly and hit your hand, you are still dominated either by a stronger holding or the board.

Eric P
12-10-2003, 05:53 PM
I didn't read the other posts, don't play ATo UTG for a raise or otherwise. you will save yourself a lot of greif. you are drawing to 3 outs most the time wen you get action and even when you hit you are venerable to other 3 outsers and stright and flush draws hitting you. This hand sucks.

astroglide
12-11-2003, 07:10 PM
i haven't read the post, but it looks like it has a lot of words. unless it said 'i folded' i think it was not played correctly.

the only time for ATo utg is shorthanded play.

CORed
12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
I usually muck A 10 UTG 6 handed. Ten handed, I muck it without a 2nd thought.

ThingDo
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't play at these stakes, but I don't agree with your reasoning for not betting the turn.

"Turnplay: bet or check and call. What do you do if you get raised here? I would probably check and call although I hate to lose the lead.

Losing the lead in this hand isn't an issue.
"