PDA

View Full Version : How many blasts outta this gun?

03-04-2002, 08:58 AM
Typical norhtern cal loose game. I'm playing very selectively tight aggressive. There's a live straddle UTG by a loose goose. The next 2 players muck and a LAP calls, next guy mucks I make it 3 bets with pocket 9's obviously trying to isolate.

Button, straddler, Lap call. Button is a loose semi-passive, semi-aggressive, calling station. (best I can do to describe her) She's buried 5+ racks.

Flop: 933 two-tone

wow nice flop. Wonder if I'll get much action tho I'm thinking. Straddler checks, Lap bets, I call, button raises, straddler and LAP both call. Well I decide not to hide and cap it.

Turn: 5d Flush now possible

It gets checked to me and I bet. Button raises much to my pleasure but I'mhoping at least one of the others will call. They both do, I 3 bet and button much to my surprise caps it. I already figured straddler to have made a flush. I'm sure LAP is on a nut flush or K high draw. And I'm wondering which 3 hands button has? A3, Very very possible, probably most likely, 33, possible but not as probable mathmatically, and 93s, definately possible. She would call 3 bets in a straddled pot with all 3 of the hands above. The only one I can't beat is obvious= 33.

river: qh

Well I bet, she raised all-in straddler called and I re-raised putting him all in and making a comment about hopefully getting the sidepot moneyback.

Yup I win the sidepot. Yup LAP was after A-high flush draw, Yup straddler had flush. And yup she had pocket 3's.

So I've been thinking. I had a slight feeling the only way she could raise me on the turn was with 93 or 33. I did in fact think hard that MAYBE she had that hand. But I kept blasting for value thinking "LONG TERM" my hand is the winner. I figure if I gave her a little more credit the most I'd have saved is 2 bets. 1 on turn by check raiseing and flat calling her 3-bet and my flat calling her river bet. But is it worth it "long term"?

How many blasts outta your gun?

Comments?

03-04-2002, 03:31 PM
ouch...i figured that when she capped the turn. when she raised the 1st time ther could be many hands, BUT...in my experience, when im with a calling station, semi-aggro, they usually wont cap a turn unless they have near nuts. this may or may not have been that type of player. when i hear 'calling station', i watch for their bets a little more...

tough hand...

b

03-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Your play was fine. One fact that you did not seem to consider was that she was almost all-in. Players like this will often just try to get all of their chips in with something decent. You took a rough beat, but you played it right, it is not even close. There is 1 way she can have 33, 2 ways she can have 93, plus a very strong possibility that she does not have either of these hands. Also remember that two people who pretty much definitely don't have you beat are coming along for the ride. This means you only have to have the best hand here more than 25% of the time to be making money. My guess is you will be best here 80+% of the time.