PDA

View Full Version : playing top pair with a 3f on the board

03-04-2002, 05:37 AM
$20 tournament on paradise in the wee hours of the morning-

I'm in pretty good shape, in second w/1500 chips at the 100/200 level.

I pull AKs in the big blind. EP limper, who hasn't stood out in the first 35 hands or so, limps, all fold to me. I go for the raise, and we see the flop.

Out comes a Axx flop, a 3flush of the wrong suit. Question 1: What do I do with this?

I bet my top pair/top kicker into mr. limper, he calls. The turn pairs the middle card, and I bet again, but get raised this time.

Quastion 2: Can I lay this hand down here? At this point of the tournament I've got very good notes and a feel for about half of the table. There's T1400 in the pot if I call... at this point I'm going to have to call T400 between here and the river to have a shot at T1850... ~3.5:1 odds. I'll give at least even money on having it, probably a good bit better than that, but 3.5:1 is tough (I guess I have to consider him holding onto the middle pair and hitting trips as well).

Unfortunately, the unwelcome raiser is not part of the half of the table I've got a feel for... I've got nothing on him, except that he made an odd PFR with 66 earlier in the tourney (MP with one or two callers up front). I guess I can figure he's not a very flashy player since I haven't taken much notice in 35 hands.

You already know the result... he's got the flush, having limped with Qh9h. Unfortunately I got playable pockets the next two hands (garbage for 5 hands or so might have given me enough time to cool off...) and I tilted my way out of my last T800.

2ndGoat