PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to figure this tourney thing out

CrackerZack
12-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Ok, here's the situation. I'm in around 38th of 57 when this hand came up. Top 30 get paid but its change until you get to the final table. .7% for 21-30, .9% for 11-20.

Hero has T2700 which is less than avg obviously, blinds are 200-400 no ante.

UTG+2 limps in he has me covered, SB and BB both have slightly less (around T2200 and 2100). I'm rather new to this table but its been pretty tight. Only showdowns have been with someone all-in. I'm in the C/O with KcQc. What's my move? Button is chiplead at the table with T15000. Normally, I'd raise to T1200 here but the limper changes things. I've seen him limp a few times here and fold on the flop when he missed so he's very must more likely limping with a limping type hand than AA or KK. So what should my move be?

Well, I moved in hoping to take the 1K dead. Worst case scenario, button called, rest folded, he had AsKs. Flop of Kh 4s 2s and my night was over.

I considered raising to 1200 anyway but I was pretty sure the limper would call which may or may not be a good thing but if he's not holding a lesser K, I'd prefer he didn't. But if the button made a huge raise behind me, can i really lay this down getting 2-1 on the rest of my chips?

Thanks,
Zack

Greg (FossilMan)
12-08-2003, 11:17 AM
With or without limpers, your only move at this point is all-in or fold. A normal raise to T1200 is getting close to half your stack, so all-in is typically the better choice.

You ask about folding if you had raised to T1200 and the button had raised you all-in. You mention getting 2:1. Actually, it would be more than 3:1 on that call, and no, you should not fold for that price. Of course, another reason to go all-in rather than raise half your stack is to avoid such decisions.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

crockpot
12-08-2003, 11:27 AM
i don't like it. there is no chance you'll be the favorite if your all-in is called, so if you will do this with KQs you should also do it with 72o. i don't think there's anything wrong with limping, seeing a flop, and then using your position to your advantage. this way you will be able to fold if someone raises big behind you.

if you had 700 less chips, limping would probably be wrong, but i still might like a better hand to push in with.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Normally, I'd raise to T1200

No. That represents 44% of your chips. You're in all-in or fold territory now with a stack equal to less than 7x BB.

Push all your chips in here. The pot represents a 37% increase in your stack. Take it.

GrinningBuddha
12-08-2003, 03:17 PM
IF his all-in is called, he's generally going to be an underdog, yes. However, I think he'll take the dead money here often enough that the times that he ends up seeing a flop won't make this play a money-loser.

Prickly Pete
12-08-2003, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is no chance you'll be the favorite if your all-in is called, so if you will do this with KQs you should also do it with 72o

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the point you're making and assume you are just exaggerating for effect, but just in case for those who might not know otherwise. There are certainly some hands that may call you that are a coinflip (JJ, TT etc) and they would destroy 72 or 96 etc.

I'd probably go allin. 2nd option fold. No 3rd option.

curtains
12-08-2003, 09:07 PM
I think allin with KQs there is the correct play. Especially if this player has limped preflop a bit.