PDA

View Full Version : beginner needs even more help

StuR
12-07-2003, 09:42 PM
having just lost some money to people i shouldnt i am i need of your advice.
i would like someone to give me advice on starting hands in texas hold em. at the moment i play the following ones (some of the hands in LP are dubious but i will only play them if the situation is right E.G. letting me see the flop cheaply)

EP
Pairs: 7 and up
Suited: 10 and up I.E. A with K,Q,J,10 etc
Unsuited: J and up

MP
Pairs: 5 and up
suited 8 and up,A down to 6
Unsuited: 10 and up

LP
Pairs: any
Suited: A,K any kicker
Q,J Gapped 3 I.E. Q with J,10,9,8
J with 10,9,8,7
10,9 Gapped 2
8,7 Gapped 1
6,5 connected
Unsuited: A,K Gapped 3
Q,J gapped 2
10, 9 Gapped 1
8 Connected

Are these too strict and too loose, i seeme to be folding and folding and not hitting cards when i do see the flop. i do occassionally through in a weaker hand and bluff but am always outdrawn or fold to someone else

I need help please as the game really intrigues me but i keep losing and wanna start pinpointing my problems

thanks in advance

crockpot
12-07-2003, 10:43 PM
EP: i would get KJo and QJo out of your system. in fact, in a loose game i would rarely play these from any position.

MP: there is no difference between a pair of fives and a pair of twos. either way, you get out if you don't hit a set. this doesn't mean you should play all pairs, but if you're going to play fives you can play twos also. maybe call with small pairs if you see two limpers in front of you in MP and three in LP. also, your unsuited standards are way too low here. hands like KTo, QTo, JTo will get you into even more trouble than QJo and KJo.

LP: i would hope that you're adjusting your play to how many players have limped. Kxs is really not going to be profitable unless there have been plenty of limpers and no raise. again, your standards for offsuit cards are way too low, regardless of how loose your game is.

xKnivesOutx
12-08-2003, 12:19 AM
I think you are playing entirely too many hands.
I really like Phil Helmuth's advise on Beginner hold em strategy.
Check out his book, or his back to basics advise on his website.
philhelmuth.com
Basically he recommends only playing Pocket pairs 7 or higher, AK and AQ.

StuR
12-08-2003, 08:16 AM
thank you can anyone give me a table on their starting standards?

StuR
12-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Also, i sometimes stick so rigid to high starting cards that when i do hit them i find it hard to make money out of them by either slowplaying and lossing bets or betiing hard and people foldong. any tips????

StuR
12-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Also do these standards still hold in tournament play?
i ensd up up or down just a little while others are knocked out and others have towers of chips

crockpot
12-08-2003, 09:48 AM
i have a rough guide for starting hands at my website under the starting out in hold 'em page. i don't know any winning players that use a chart regularly, and neither should you. the guide at my site is just to get you started towards the correct method of thinking in poker.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-08-2003, 10:31 AM
I really like Phil Helmuth's advise on Beginner hold em strategy.

Hellmuth's book is the best thing you can buy if your goal in poker is to lose all your money.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Sklansky & Malmuth, "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players."