PDA

View Full Version : More Bets In The Pot?

James Boston
12-07-2003, 03:47 AM
$4-$8 game. Two limpers, I check BB with A-10o. Flop is rags. I check, next guy checks, third player bets. I think he's trying to buy the pot, so I call. Turn is ace. I don't want to bet as soon as an ace comes, and I think the original bettor will bet again. I check and it is checked around. River is 10. I now think that checking after I checked the ace will induce a bet and allow me to check-raise. I check, and it is checked around. Did I play this wrong? Could I have gotten more money in the pot? I still think that if I bet anytime after the turn, the other two players would have folded.

crockpot
12-07-2003, 03:49 AM
i would bet the turn. you don't want to give a free card, and an ace is the ultimate action-killer unless you're against an aggressive opponent. regardless of my turn play, once the ten rivers, i'd bet. it is unlikely that someone who had a ragged pair will feel more comfortable betting after a second overcard has fallen. and if someone else made two lesser pair, you can reraise if you bet out, while they might flat call a check raise.

Bob T.
12-07-2003, 05:20 AM
I think he's trying to buy the pot, so I call.

How about, 'I think he is trying to buy the pot, so I checkraise?' It is one more small bet, but it gives you a lot more ways to win the hand.

Ok, so you called. I think trying to checkraise the turn, was an OK idea. If your opponents are aggressive, it is a very good idea, but if they were passive, and your opponent was trying to steal, callers, and an Ace on board might have made him think that betting was a bad idea. There is a lot of stuff to sort through and not much time to make the decision.

Finally, I think that you are likely to make more money on the river by just betting out, and hoping for callers.

slavic
12-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Ok if you think he's trying to steal, you raise. Raising gives you two ways to win, you may have the best hand or improve to the best hand, and your opponents may fold. At least one will fold and that increases your odds of winning.

On the turn people become pretty spineless in the B&M 4/8 games, you'll have to bet your own ace.

After it checks around on the turn, you have to bet your hand. If you give them the option of a free showdown they will take it.

Nottom
12-07-2003, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's trying to buy the pot, so I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, I think you should raise and try to thin the field. Sometime the button will even fold here and you can take the pot right now, if not he will very often fold to a turn bet.