PDA

View Full Version : online tournament question

jomatty
12-07-2003, 03:42 AM
i was playing in the 300 nl saturday night at party when a hand came up that i could use some feedback on. there are 100 people left and the top 70 get paid. the blinds are 250-500 and i have around 6500
the last two times i had raised the pot from late position the same player came over the top of me for all his chips. i layed down AQ in the cutoff and he chatted that i was going to give him all my chips. it was pretty obvious he thought he could continue to push me around. two hands later i picked up JJ and made it 1500 to go. he moved all in and had me just covered. i thought i prob had the best hand but there was a good chance it would be a coinflip and hed have two overcards. i thought there was also a chance that he might also have TT or some other med pair. i called but am wondering if this late i would have been better off to muck and not risk all my chips in a situation where im prob a slight favorite.
thank you for any insight

Martin Aigner
12-07-2003, 04:19 AM
Jomatty,

since there is wide range of hands this player seems to make this move you simply had to make the call. Sure, you can run into AA, but he easily can have 66, too. Odds are that he has a hand you really dominate or for you to have at least 50/50, which gives you +EV. Usually these reraises are made with any lower pair, hands like AJ, JT or even with any 2 cards. As long as the raiser mucks often enough the reraise can be a profitable play, even with 72. (At least against a likely steal raise short our of the money)

Hope you won that hand and went on for a big cash day.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Greg (FossilMan)
12-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Absolutely mandatory call. With or without the table talk.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Guy McSucker
12-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Absolutely mandatory call. With or without the table talk.

Just checking: this advice is because of the prior history of being reraised, right?

I ask this because against an unknown player, without that prior history, I am tempted to fold in these situations.

Guy.

Greg (FossilMan)
12-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Yes.

If the raise had come from a player who didn't have a long history of reraising, you can figure he's got you beat or tied much more often than you've got him beat. But a guy who's already been pushing you around a lot doesn't have to hand any kind of real hand here. It may be he does have a real hand, but that could include quite a few hands that you're in great shape over, such as smaller pairs and Ax or Kx where x is J or below.

Laying down JJ against a player who's been folding a LOT would not necessarily be anything but the smartest play. Laying down JJ against this opponent, given the description, has got to be a huge mistake.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

CrisBrown
12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Hi jo,

This is the opportunity you've been waiting for: a "steal" against a player who likes to defend all-in ... when you really do have a hand! Definite call.

Cris