PDA

View Full Version : Dark folding

Joey Joe Joe
12-06-2003, 01:00 AM
I say it's time to take this dark betting thing to the next level. I think it's time to incorporate dark folding. The next time you raise UTG, and get called by a single player who has position on you, consider mucking before the flop hits. What does this cost? A lousy couple of bets in practice, and a couple more theoretically. Big deal. The players will all think you're completely nuts. Players will also without a doubt start to call your preflop raises more often. So, without a doubt you'll get these thrown away bets back. It might sound insane, but it is truly a beautiful, ingenious strategy, that may just change the way we think about poker. The dark fold. You heard it here first.

shemp
12-06-2003, 01:27 AM
This reminds me of a recurring fantasy. Tommy A is on my left (he likes his fish to the right). I open rai AA and he 3 bets AK. I call. Now before the flop gets laid down, I check dark, and he bets his AK dark (because AK is the dark bet hand), I check rai in the dark for what I hope is the first dark flop c/r. He 3-bets. I laugh, call and announce I check the turn, whatever it is, in the dark, and he bets in the dark, and I check rai in the dark. The fantasy has a variety of endings from there (sometimes I lose the hand to running kings, sometimes we complete the river action, before a card is turned over (I get down to the felt), sometimes the floor rules against us, all the money goes
back etc).

Just wanted to share.

Tommy Angelo
12-06-2003, 02:33 AM
"truly a beautiful, ingenious strategy"

Truly.

I've done a few dark folds at no-limit but nothing as drastically beautiful as the one you suggest. It's always the same. A flop of Q-5-5, or K-3-3, and I've got 9-8 or so. I bet, and its folded around to the last guy who is one of the regs who is unspokenly sworn to play honest with me in spots like this and me him. As soon as he hesitates, I know I'm out. But I wait until he calls my bet, and then I fold, with the turn card still unburned.

I'm not suggesting that this obvious and proper situation compares to the ingeniousness of raise-and-fold-to-a-call before the flop. All it means is that all dark-folds are not alike.

Tommy

Zeno
12-06-2003, 03:25 AM
"We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."

-Henry James, "The Middle Years", (short story, 1893)