PDA

View Full Version : help! newbie money management?

02-23-2002, 10:01 PM
hi y'all

since the start of the year i've been playing around 40 hours a week (PL O8 online, if that matters) - i work freelance and have lots of spare time. Anyway, this is the first time i've sat down seriously at cash games for any protracted period, and I've been winning a small amount each week and am up around $1,500 having bought in originally for $60.

anyhow, the point of my question is this - i've had a handful of nights where i've won a decent amount only to lose it back plus some. Naturally, i get annoyed at myself when this happens and decided to pay attention to money management and use a stop-win (or whatever its called)- ie i win $150, i quit. I know there are many reasons why this is a bad idea, but as a newbie i think it stops me frittering away my good nights, playing on when i'm too tired and also it keeps my confidence up and stops me tilting.

Anyway (sorry so long!) - since I've been trying to manage my money better (I also stop if I'm $150 down) I've been doing a bit better, but I've also come across a new problem - I start worrying that I should quit when I'm $80 up or something. I get a bit scared - I don't think I PLAY scared, but... I'm not playing at too-high levels, maybe I'm just too concerned with banking a win.

Anybody ever had this problem and what can I do about it? Thanks for any advice.

02-24-2002, 04:01 AM
swings are part of the game. you're going to have winning sessions as well as losing sessions. if setting a $150 cap per session helps you play you're best poker, then stick with it until you gain more experience.

eventually you'll start to see poker as one long game and the swings won't bother you as much. with experience also comes the ability to recognize when you are no longer playing winning poker. so instead of playing until your $150 cap, you will know when it is time to stop.

02-24-2002, 04:13 PM
I agree with crAAcked. Play untill you arent playing at your best.

Playing online is alot different than playing in a B&M, because people are always coming and going. I believe it is important to realize how profitable the table is at any given time. As long as people are making mistakes I will stay at a table no matter where I'm at. What really sucks is to suffer a couple bad beats, get down 15 BB and then have the fish leave, cause you know whos waiting in line (probably me:). I think its important to condition yourself to leaving when the game turns unfavorable.