PDA

View Full Version : The OIC gave me the Boot!!!

bigcoupee
12-05-2003, 05:48 PM
I met the requirements the best i could with the available games. I now have over 4000 in my account, double the requirement to win the OIC. I did not play any no limit, any tournament, and did not add any funding to my account. They don't think that is good enough because of a trivial rule that states that you must play .5/1 until a player
reaches 100. I think i switched to 1/2 at around $85 after my game broke. If they are willing to bar a player for any breach of any rule, i am fairly certain that 95% of the players should get barred. If a player plays to the big blind after winning a pot that pushed them into the next bracket, or playing to the big blind after falling
below the 25 big bet minimum. Is it fair to force a player not to play just because there might not be a 5/10 or 10/20, while letting other players catch up.

I think the real reason i got barred is they do not want to induce the other OIC players to cash out once they reach the required 300 raked hands.

Here is the email they sent me:

Hello Dan,

Congratulations on your exceptional play to date. Your jump in bankroll clearly indicates that you are on a winning streak.

We see that you are registered for the Open Internet Challenge. We have compared your play over the past few days with the requirements of the rules of the OIC, and we very much regret to inform you that your play thus far does not conform to the rules.

In particular, to qualify for the prizes under the OIC, you need to begin your play at the $0.50/$1.00 Limit Hold 'Em tables, and may only move up to higher limit tables once you have won the amounts at each limit as stipulated in the rules (as per the end of this message).

For this reason, at this point your winnings to date do not count towards your OIC bankroll, which for the purposes of the competition remains unchanged at $50. For the same reason, until such time as you start again at the $0.50/$1.00 tables and make your way upwards through the limits in accordance with the rules, you will unfortunately be ineligible for any of the daily or final OIC prizes.

We are very much saddened by having to tell you this, since your excellent play to date clearly indicates to us that you would more than likely have completed the challenge by now if you had only started your play at the right limit. We have therefore credited your account with a bonus $100 in the hope of making up for any disappointment that this message may bring about for you.

Please note that the $100 bonus will have to be declared as part of your non-OIC bankroll when you next make such a declaration at
www.gamingclubpoker.com/oic (http://www.gamingclubpoker.com/oic)

We hope that the above helps clarify the workings of the OIC for you.
Should you require anything further, please do not hesitate to contact
us. If you feel that the rules are unclear in any way, we suggest that you make a post on the Internet Gambling section of the twoplustwo.com message boards, which is where the OIC event originated.

Kind Regards,

Melissa

Poker Support Team

Extract from OIC rules as posted on twoplustwo.com:

"As was mentioned before this is a self-paced, honor bound,
educational endeavor. To make sure that everyone is on the same page
there are a few rules that everyone is expected to follow:

The game is Limit Hold'em, but it is the player's decision to choose
between full-ring, shorthanded, or heads-up tables. No tournaments.

You will begin with a $50 bankroll that you will keep separate from
your regular bankroll for purposes of the OIC. You do not literally
have to clear your account of everything save $50, but you must keep
accurate records of the $50 bankroll you have set aside for the
challenge. [GC edit: you then need to subtract your OIC BR from your
total BR to determine your non-OIC funds, which you must then declare
at www.gamingclubpoker.com/oic] (http://www.gamingclubpoker.com/oic])

You will progress in limits according to the following structure
(Limit Hold'em):

-----> Start at .50/1 with $50 and play until you have $100.

-----> Move up to 1/2 and play until you have $200.

-----> Move up to 2/4 and play until you have $300.

-----> Move up to 3/6 and play until you have $500.

-----> Move up to 5/10 and play until you have $1000.

-----> Move up to 10/20 and play until you have $1500.

-----> Move up to 15/30 and play until you have $2000.

IMPORTANT If at any point your bankroll drops below 25 BB's for the
current level you are playing, you MUST drop down to the previous
level and work your way back up. This is designed to prevent anyone
tilting away a large pile of money. If you find yourself in this
situation take a break, examine your play, and then drop down and work
your way back up...remember you are honor bound to follow this rule.

Any bonus money received beyond the original "sponsorship" $50 should
be NOT be included in your OIC bankroll. [GC edit: This applies
equally to any purchases or cashouts you make - you must adjust your
non-OIC bankroll for these amounts, and not just for your play at
non-OIC tables or limits]

Multi-table play is allowed, but not encouraged (the whole point is to
gain solid experience). If you choose to multi-table you may only have
money equal to your OIC bankroll in play at any given time. (i.e. if
you had $120 in your BR you could buy into 3 tables for $40 each)

Anyone who participates may choose to quit the challenge at any point.
The purpose of the challenge is to gain experience with limited risk;
however, it is utterly foolish to get yourself into a situation where
you are uncomfortable or don't have the best of it. Don't be stupid,
there is no shame in quitting early.

The above statement is not an excuse for bonus abuse. Those who take
the free $50, but then quit because 1/2 is "too hard" are idiots and
will be dealt with accordingly. If you take the free money you are
expected to give it a fair and honest effort."

Homer
12-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Do you mean to say that the $4000 in winnings was taken from your account, or that you were simply made inelligible to receive any of the secondary OIC prizes?

-- Homer

HUSKER'66
12-05-2003, 06:30 PM
I read this to mean that he has to start the OIC over again if he would like to be eligible for daily/weekly prizes. There is nothing in the letter that states he is being garnished any monies already won. Because he didn't follow the rules (he admitted that), he is giving the chance to start back at the begining. Oh, and for his inconvienace, he gets to claim $100.00. I don't see the problem here.

First off, he wasn't "barred" as he mentions repeatedly in his post. If he would bother to take the time to read the email that he has received he would realize that he still has a starting BR of $50. If he also bothered to take the time to read the email, he would realize that if he had any questions, he was directed to the internet forum of 2+2 where the orginal idea for the OIC was formed. Last time I looked, this was the tournament section. Sorry, but I feel no sympathy for this person. They disregarded the rules because apparently they felt they didn't apply to them, put about $4k in winnings in their pocket, and then come to the wrong section, wrong forum to b*tch that they have been treated unfaily and "barred" when in fact they haven't.

CountDuckula
12-05-2003, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I met the requirements the best i could with the available games. I now have over 4000 in my account, double the requirement to win the OIC. I did not play any no limit, any tournament, and did not add any funding to my account. They don't think that is good enough because of a trivial rule that states that you must play .5/1 until a player
reaches 100. I think i switched to 1/2 at around $85 after my game broke. If they are willing to bar a player for any breach of any rule, i am fairly certain that 95% of the players should get barred. If a player plays to the big blind after winning a pot that pushed them into the next bracket, or playing to the big blind after falling
below the 25 big bet minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You've won ~$4000 in a few days (and get to keep it!), received a $100 bonus because you broke the rules, been invited to start again with $50 (presuming you follow the rules this time), and you're complaining because you're not eligible for a $500 prize or the daily $50 prizes?!? Seems to me you can make more money by not bothering with the competition and just continuing to do what you're doing!

[ QUOTE ]
Is it fair to force a player not to play just because there might not be a 5/10 or 10/20, while letting other players catch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, those are the terms of the competition, and we all have to play under them. Is it fair to those of us who can't play 15 hours a day to let people like you break whatever rules you feel like? I haven't done nearly as well as you, but I've managed to stay within the rules, play for about 2 hours (or less) per night, and I'm currently in 12th place with $178. I have a ways to go before I need to worry about whether there's a 5/10 or 10/20 table available, but still, by the time I get there, I figure there will be a few other OIC participants looking for a game at that level.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real reason i got barred is they do not want to induce the other OIC players to cash out once they reach the required 300 raked hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh.... You do know that everyone who reaches $2000 qualifies for an entry into a freeroll tournament with a prize pool amounting to $100 per entrant? And that there are daily cash prizes for being atop the leaderboard, moving the greatest number of positions upward, and winning the most money?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no intention of cashing out before I hit $2000 or the competition ends, whichever comes first! TGC is being amazingly generous here, plus I'm getting an opportunity to learn an awful lot about playing poker at different limits.

-Mike

Joe Tall
12-05-2003, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They don't think that is good enough because of a trivial rule that states that you must play .5/1 until a player reaches 100. I think i switched to 1/2 at around $85 after my game broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess when you play basketball you only have to hit the rim to count for 2 points?

Good riddance,
JT

bigcoupee
12-06-2003, 12:15 AM
In basketball a player gets penalized for braking the rules, its called a "penalty". At first OIC penalized me $650 for my error, this can be verified by those that saw bigcoupee in 1st place with $1359 on the leaderboard. At that point I already had $2070. I thought that is fair so i took my bankroll to 2700 playing 15/30 thinking that should adeem the penalty. This still did not satisfy them so i took my roll to 4000. I though surely this should satisfy the OIC and they would declare me the winner, but no.

And I am fine with that,
Let the cry babies on this message board have their bottle.
I did not know it was a competition only for players that were just "beginners".

Spartacus
12-06-2003, 12:21 AM

BradleyT
12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not know it was a competition only for players that were just "beginners".

[/ QUOTE ]

Who else would it be for when you start with $50 and play such low limits?

Joe Tall
12-06-2003, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll warm it up for you.

GrinningBuddha
12-06-2003, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At first OIC penalized me $650 for my error, this can be verified by those that saw bigcoupee in 1st place with $1359 on the leaderboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were penalized nothing. Had your total been legitimate, you would have easily won $100 for highest total and biggest $ improvement. They did not withhold any of your own funds from you.

[ QUOTE ]
At that point I already had $2070. I thought that is fair so i took my bankroll to 2700 playing 15/30 thinking that should adeem the penalty. This still did not satisfy them so i took my roll to 4000. I though surely this should satisfy the OIC and they would declare me the winner, but no.

And I am fine with that,

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you even READ the rules? You seem obsessed with increasing your total to win; that's not what the point of the competition is. You moved to the wrong levels at the wrong times and therefore didn't follow the rules that the Gaming Club had set down for winning the daily prizes. You did very well in your own personal OIC, but you didn't follow the rules, therefore you didn't win any prizes as sponsored by the site. They even gave you $100 for doing so well, and yet you still bitch and moan?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a competition for people who can read, understand, and follow the rules. It's a competition to expand a player's knowledge of the various limits with minimal risk. It benefits inexperienced players most, but would help most any player. You seem to have done well the first time, why not start over with $50 and do it again, following the rules this time? Surely you could use another $4000, since it is so easy to do?

CountDuckula
12-06-2003, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In basketball a player gets penalized for braking the rules, its called a "penalty". At first OIC penalized me $650 for my error, this can be verified by those that saw bigcoupee in 1st place with $1359 on the leaderboard. At that point I already had $2070. I thought that is fair so i took my bankroll to 2700 playing 15/30 thinking that should adeem the penalty. This still did not satisfy them so i took my roll to 4000. I though surely this should satisfy the OIC and they would declare me the winner, but no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you continued to ignore the rules of the competition. It's like baseball; if you hit a home run, you have to run the bases and touch each one. If you fail to touch them in the correct order, the opposing team can toss the ball to the base you missed, and the umpire will call you out on appeal. That's basically what happened to you here. You can still take another turn at the plate and try again.

[ QUOTE ]
And I am fine with that,

[/ QUOTE ]

The only person I see crying here is you. I'm responding, because you came in here looking for sympathy, and I don't see where you deserve any. It doesn't bother me that you scored $4000; I'm just explaining why your effort isn't "good enough" under the terms of the competition.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They came out and said it was designed as a learning experience. It's not a flat-out race to $2000 by any means available; it's a structured competition with specific rules. If you don't follow those rules, you're not eligible to win, simple as that.

And after all is said and done, you can still take $50 of that pile you won, and start over. You haven't been kicked out of the OIC; the only thing that happened was that your claim for the prize was disallowed. Not only that, but they gave you an extra $100 for your trouble! I'm not convinced they should have done that, and I wouldn't have done so in their shoes, but it's their decision.

-Mike