PDA

View Full Version : Damn Yankees!

Zeno
12-05-2003, 03:37 PM
A pox on Gold boy George starting up the money wars. He has to make moves of course but he gets all the stuff rolling and the Red Sox must counter etc. etc. and etc. This was inevitable but leaves the Mariners as probably fourth best in the AL. I haven't been keeping up with the off-season stuff much but the Mariners have to improve with some trades/deals. It will almost certainly be Edgar’s last year, and being sentimental; I want him to play in the World Series - he deserves it. But then we don't all get what we deserve.

The Mariners new GM is Bill Bavasi, maybe he will make better or bolder moves than Pat did. The Mariners did sign left-hander Raul Ibanez to a 3-year deal. He was with KC and has had played solid baseball (294 BA) the last two years.

I hope A-rod does go to Boston. The Yankees deserve it. But then we don’t all get what we deserve.

-Zeno

andyfox
12-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Money talks and you-know-what walks.

Maybe you guys can get Nomar if A-Rod takes his job.

Dynasty
12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Mariners did sign left-hander Raul Ibanez to a 3-year deal. He was with KC and has had played solid baseball (294 BA) the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a terrible signing. The money was reasonable at about $4.4 million/year but the Mariners should have waited a few weeks before signing him. By signing him early, the Mariners are required to give up a first round draft pick to the Royals. The Royals weren't expected to offer Ibanez arbitration. So, a few weeks later, he could have been signed without giving up any picks. The Mariners made the exact same mistake last year when they signed Greg Colbrun. Was Colbrun worth a first round draft pick? Is Ibanez?

Zeno
12-05-2003, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was Colbrun worth a first round draft pick?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

[ QUOTE ]
Is Ibanez?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not! Damn again. I didn't even mention Ibanez's rather anemic OBP, trying to be positive and all that etc.

I will just have to want and see and hope that the Mariner management will wise up. Maybe Bill will be better than Pat and maybe not. After all the dust settles with some of the other trades, the Mariners better do something - and hopefully before spring training.

-Zeno

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
All Mariner mistakes pale next to Derek Lowe & Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb

andyfox
12-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Suupposedly, the Yankees have already "signed" Sheffield but are waiting to really sign him for just this reason. Sheffield, genius that he is, reportedly has told some reporters that the contract is already signed, sealed, and delivered.

glen
12-07-2003, 06:02 AM
This still makes me laugh every time I think about. For all the bad trades the sox have made, they dumped just about the worst pitcher in baseball for future all-stars. . .

andyfox
12-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I'd give up Willie Mays for Heathcliff Slocumb. How can you not love that name? I mean, if Van Lingle Mungo was available, I'd trade Ty Cobb for him.

Throw in Claude Osteen and you got yourself a deal.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Exhibit A:

"The Yankees may not be ready to announce it yet, but Gary Sheffield made it clear where he's headed. Sheffield revealed in an interview with USA Today Sports Weekly that he agreed to a three-year, $39 million contract with the Yankees last week. The slugging outfielder even went so far as to fire a salvo at New York's bitter rival -- the Red Sox, who acquired pitcher Curt Schilling. 'The Red Sox can say what they want, but look at us. Who's going to beat us,' Sheffield told the magazine. 'If we don't win the World Series, everybody can come and see me first, because I'll take the blame.'

Same old brilliant tactician he's alway been, that Sheff.

Exhibit B:

"The Yankees and David Wells are close to finalizing a minor-league deal that could put the tempestuous left-hander back in their rotation for the 2004 season, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported. The Yanks offered Wells salary arbitration Dec. 7 because general manager Brian Cashman and Wells' agent Gregg Clifton were on the verge of working out the one-year contract. The deal, which will carry a base salary of $3 million with incentives that could drive it toward $7 million, will be completed when the sides agree on a weight-and-conditioning clause."

I don't think Wells will have trouble meeting a minimum weight clause. And he's bald, he doesn't need conditioner.

Zeno
12-10-2003, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"The Yankees and David Wells are close to finalizing....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...agent Gregg Clifton were on the verge of working out the one-year contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

The words “working out” and “David Wells” should not appear in the same paragraph. Major faux pas; a balk with the bases loaded. Shame on you, Andy. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
'If we don't win the World Series, everybody can come and see me first, because I'll take the blame.'

[/ QUOTE ]

The ink isn't dry yet - and the word wars are out of the gate. Going to be a great season next year, especially when the Mariners win it all. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-Zeno

andyfox
12-10-2003, 02:09 AM
"especially when the Mariners win it all"

Steady-Every-Day Eddie to the Rescue.