PDA

View Full Version : Hand analysis - row, row, row your boat

Analyst
12-05-2003, 01:38 PM
In an effort to start moving away from sushi-status, here's my first hand for review:

Loose, relatively passive 6/12 at Garden City; player to my right (LMP in this hand) has only been at the table a few hands, so I've no read. I'm CO, dealt 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to MP who limps, LMP limps, I limp, button completes, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop is 10/images/graemlins/club.gif 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB bets, MP calls, LMP calls, I raise, button folds, BB calls, MP folds, LMP calls
Usually I'd wait for the turn to raise, but with 4 others in the pot my goal here was to try and make it painful for those on draws.

Turn is a 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, LMP bets, I raise, BB folds, LMP calls
At this point, I'm reading LMP for a straight draw, something like QJ, and maybe hoping to take the pot right now?

River is 8/images/graemlins/club.gif
LMP bets, I raise, LMP 3-bets - I've been burned on a lot of full houses lately, so I just call.
In general, is this weak-tight, leaving money on the table?

So what did he have? Comments on any/all streets highly welcome!

SevenStuda
12-05-2003, 01:46 PM
For what it's worth, I think you played the hand well. Some other possible hands your opponent might have held are 99, T9, or Tx. However, I feel on the river you should have pulled out a page from Hellmuth's book and come over the top with your T's full of 8's. What did your opponent hold?

rkiray
12-05-2003, 01:55 PM
I'd want a couple more limpers before I'd play 8Ts. Why did you raise the river if you put him on JQ on the turn?

bisonbison
12-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Why would he come alive (reraise you) when the 8 hit on the river? The only hands that would help are hands that you beat. I'd come back over the top and expect to be shown a straight or his pocket 88s.

If he had T9, he had no reason not to reraise you after BB folds on the turn.

rharless
12-05-2003, 01:58 PM
boat, 2nd nut?

rkiray
12-05-2003, 02:02 PM
opps, I thought he just had a set.

AlexZee
12-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi Analyst,

On the river, I think you have enough hand to 4-bet, only T9 beats you, and his play really isn't consistent with that(he would have 3-bet the turn). If he 5-bets, I'd just call barring any reads that the player might be cluelessly pushing a weaker hand.

By the way, raising the flop with trips is the standard play. You tend to make more money than if you wait until the turn to raise.

-Alex

AliasMrJones
12-05-2003, 02:40 PM
I you've got to keep raising the river. There are a number of hands he might have that you can beat and only one that beats you.

Mike Gallo
12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Reraise the river. If he had 9 10 he most likely would have reraised you on the turn.

I put your opponent on something like QJ. I doubt he had 9 10.

If you lose the max and he does have 9 10, you still played it correctly.

chesspain
12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I agree with the Jersey guy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LetsRock
12-05-2003, 03:51 PM
For a change, I agree with the other posts.

(For the record T8s is not a hand I would have played to begin with here...)

Unless I flop a set of Aces and there is NO coordination on the board, I don't even think about slow-playing sets. Bet is correct.

On the river you have to cap, you're only behind T9 here and besides the fact that it would be a pretty extreme longshot, there's too little evidence that it's there.

I like your read of QJ, although 99 (slowplay a boat flop? -doubtful since he didn't cap turn) 88 or other big PPs would also be reasonable suspects.

Nottom
12-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Preflop: I think the limp is fine as long as its only done in LP.

Flop: Good raise, people slowplay with trips way too often and its rarely correct.

Turn: Again, good raise. If 3-bet you can start worrying about a boat or better kicker.

River: You need to cap this, you have the second nuts (are only losing to T9) and the only hand that beats you would have most likely 3-bet the turn.

lil'
12-05-2003, 04:53 PM
The pre-flop limp is fine.

I've been burned on a lot of full houses lately, so I just call.
Damn, you've been losing with all of your full houses? That's some sucky luck. Cap the river, since it's the last bet that will go in there is less risk. Plus you could easily be best.

Analyst
12-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Everyone seems to agree to 4-bet the river, and I'll do this next time. Note that this doesn't necessarily close the action since the local cardrooms allow unlimited raises when it's heads-up.

However, as a very wise decision anaysis professor taught, "clarity of decision does not mean certainty of outcome". LMP flipped over T9 for the nut full house. /images/graemlins/frown.gif He really caught me by surprise after (as many of you said) not raising the turn. As it worked out, I was drawing dead from the flop on.

Re: playing T8s at all. With a couple of limpers ahead of me (none from EP), good position and likely 5-6 players in the pot, I figure that calling here is pretty reasonable.

Analyst
12-05-2003, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've been burned on a lot of full houses lately, so I just call.
Damn, you've been losing with all of your full houses? That's some sucky luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, in the past 5 hours of play I've had 6 boats; pretty good, eh? Except that I've lost 4 of them to bigger boats - oddly enough, all of my losers have been 10's full, including this pot. But I have to admit that the biggest problem with these hands is that (other than perhaps the example in this thread) I have badly misplayed them, like the big pot I lost to pocket As (I had AT, flop was ATx, turn x, river T) which were just about advertised with neon signs from pre-flop on.

Analyst
12-05-2003, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Turn: Again, good raise. If 3-bet you can start worrying about a boat or better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I begin to become really uncertain about what to do. If 3-bet, I'd most likely have called, then just check/called a river bet even though I'd now be ahead of AT or the like. Is this weak-tight?

Nottom
12-06-2003, 01:12 AM
If 3-bet then a call is best, but I would have still raised the river after you filled up, its still more likely you moved ahead of something like 99 or AT than you are behind T9. If you were 3-bet on the turn then 4-betting the river is a bit more questionable.

On the bright-side, be glad you opponents odd play prolly saved you a bet or 2.