PDA

View Full Version : Trick Quiz

Louie Landale
12-05-2003, 01:09 PM
What would you routinely do in these situations. There are "bad" players in the game but NO terrible players (such as Maniacs or really-weak-really-tight players). Ignore any "randomizing your play" situations, such as bluffing 10% of the time. What would you do most of the time. Situations are for full games.

Take a shot at it even if you don't post your answers, before you read my "Answers".

[1] Holdem: UTG raises, Reasonable MP calls, you expect the BB to call, you have KT on the CO. [1a] Fold [1b] Call [1c] ReRaise.

[2] Holdem: You have K5 in the BB, 3 players call, you check. Flop is Q97. [2a] Bet [2b] Check and fold [2c] Check figuring there is some reasonable chance, depending on the action, for you to either call or raise.

[3] Holdem: There are 3 reasonable callers who WOULD have raised with a premium hand. You have posted in LP with Q6 and check, 5 take the flop. Flop is Q87 everyone checks to you. [3a] Check [3b] Bet.

[4] Same as 3, but you flop 2-pair Q86 [4a] Check [4b] Bet.

[5] Holdem: there is an UTG caller, you have KK in EP. [5a] Fold [5b] Call [5c] Raise.

[6] Holdem: everyone folds to you on the Button and have TT. [6a] Fold [6b] Call [6c] Raise.

[7] 7-Stud: 2 players fold and you have spit Aces with a 7. Nobody's cards are duplicated and there is a K and a T behind you. [7a] Fold [7b] Call [7c] Raise.

[8] 7-Stud: There has been a 4 raises along the way and you are confident the heads-up opponent has split AcesUp. You make the disguised flush on 6th street. [8a] Fold [8b] Call [8c] Raise.

[9] 7-Stud: Same as [9] except YOU have the obvious AcesUp and the opponent, who you figured for QsUp raises on 6th when he catches a 3rd Heart. You now figure he's probably got the flush. You call. You don't improve the river and check and he bets. [9a] Fold [9b] Call [9c] Raise.

[10] 7-Stud: you are low with slit pair of 2s and a wounded 6. and the opponenent with an T raises. If he doesn't have a pair then he's sure to have a 3-flush or 3-straight. Its now heads-up after the J folds to the raise. [10a] Fold [10b] Call [10c] ReRaise.

[11] Omaha Hi/Low: 3 callers and you have AJ85 (Jack is suited) in LP. You don't expect a raise. [11a] Fold [11b] Call [11c] Raise.

- Louie

Louie Landale
12-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Oops, I mispelled the name of the quiz. Its not a "Trick Quiz" its a "Tricky Quiz".

The correct answer to every question is real obvious. If you did NOT get ALL of them (confidently) correct then [1] You are too ignorant [2] Don't have enough Discipline [3] Way too loose, or [4] probably play too "Tricky". You LOOK for excuses to do the non-rouine thing. And I suggest you do some serious introspective right now.

- Louie

PS. Flame away, I'm ready.

SevenStuda
12-05-2003, 01:40 PM
1a, 2b, 3b, 4b, 5c, 6c, 7c, 8c, 9b, 10a, 11a.

mmanne
12-05-2003, 01:42 PM
I only play hold em, so I'll give my answers for the first 6
1a
2b
3b
4b
5c
6c

Nottom
12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
1) a - easy fold, KT is poo
2) b - check-fold, board has too many draws to expect 3 people to fold to a bet, You K is your only real out and is likely no good anyway.
3) b - bet, i see no reason to think someone else has a Q here.
4) b - bet, 2-pair isn't good enough to be slowplaying can't be giving free cards
5) c - raise, the UTG caller makes this an even easier choice than normal
6) c- raise, not even close.

I'm not nearly as experienced in Stud so who knows if i'm right on these.
7) c - raise
8) c - raise, with a disquised flush I think this is an easy raise. it seems much more likely he will call with his 2-pair than fold or have filled up.
9) a - I think you can lay this down unless you opponent is oblivious or crazy.
10) a - fold, seems like one of those slight favorite or big underdog situations.

11) a - fold, middle cards are bad. all you really have is an AJs which might be a pretty good hold'em hand but seems pretty bad in omaha

Nottom
12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
so what are the answers?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2003, 02:22 PM
1. fold
2. check-fold
3. bet
4. bet
5. raise
6. raise
7. raise
8. call
9. call
10. fold
11. fold

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2003, 02:25 PM
I differed with you on 8 & 9. I may agree on 8 after thinking it through, but in 9 I think the pot's big enough that you have to call.

Nottom
12-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I don't play enough stud to know for sure. MY first thought was that the pot is big and you need to call, the thing that pushed my decision was the fact that i had an OBVIOUS aces up. If I oviously have aces up and a non-tricky opponent raises me anyway whats the point in calling.

Louie Landale
12-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Because he's only "Probably" got the flush.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2003, 02:45 PM
He raised on 6th street, not the river, after catching an obvious scare card. He bets the river after you check. Now it's one big bet to call. If there's more than 10 or 12 BB in the pot, I think you have to call. Obviously this decision is affected by how live his suit is by the river.

HUSKER'66
12-05-2003, 03:30 PM
1)fold-a
2)ck/fold-b
3)bet-b
4)bet-b
5)raise-c
6)raise-c

don't play enough stud but here it goes.....
7)call-b
8)raise-c
9)call-b (based on pot size)
10)fold-a
11)fold

I'd be curious as too what you feel are the "right" answers and why. I like this post....good thread. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nottom
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Those reasons seem good enough to me. Call it is.

Like I said, I'm about the worst stud player alive.

mr. oats
12-05-2003, 04:31 PM
really? worst alive huh? are you interested in joining a home game? wait...

DK

CrackerZack
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
I disagree with your 8. With all those raises etc, the pot is gonna be huge. He's not folding 2 pair and if he doesn't improve he'll probably check the river hoping to induce a bluff from a busted flush if he reads you for a pair and a flush draw. 9 you can't fold for the same reason so I agree with you.

CrackerZack
12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Really? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I nominate 7-stud for the next SS/Zoo tourney.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-05-2003, 05:25 PM
1. KT vs. UTG raise. Fold

2. the K5 hand. Check and fold.

3. Q6 hand, top pair no kicker. Bet. Any queen probably would have already bet.

4. Q6 with two pair. Bet anyway. Hope to get check-raised so you can three-bet.

5. absolutely raise a limper with KK under almost all circumstances.

6. absolutely raise on the button 1st in with TT

7. I raise with the aces

8. the hidden flush in stud. raise him on sixth but not seventh.

9. I rarely fold the river in stud. I call with the aces up.

10. fold the small pair. you're either a small favorite or a big dog

11. i hate omaha-8, but i suppose that hand still sucks anyway, i fold it.

Interested to see the answers and why it's "trick."

al

Nottom
12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
yup ... definately worst ever. Certainly have been for the past few sessions.

Monty Cantsin
12-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Haven't looked at anyone else's response, but I would be surprised if many answer differently. These all seem pretty obvious to me:

[ QUOTE ]
[1] Holdem: UTG raises, Reasonable MP calls, you expect the BB to call, you have KT on the CO. [1a] Fold [1b] Call [1c] ReRaise.

[/ QUOTE ]
[1a] Fold

[ QUOTE ]
[2] Holdem: You have K5 in the BB, 3 players call, you check. Flop is Q97. [2a] Bet [2b] Check and fold [2c] Check figuring there is some reasonable chance, depending on the action, for you to either call or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
[2b] Check and fold (barring the flush)

[ QUOTE ]
[3] Holdem: There are 3 reasonable callers who WOULD have raised with a premium hand. You have posted in LP with Q6 and check, 5 take the flop. Flop is Q87 everyone checks to you. [3a] Check [3b] Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
[3b] Bet

[ QUOTE ]
[4] Same as 3, but you flop 2-pair Q86 [4a] Check [4b] Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
[4b] Bet

[ QUOTE ]
[5] Holdem: there is an UTG caller, you have KK in EP. [5a] Fold [5b] Call [5c] Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
[5c] Raise

[ QUOTE ]
[6] Holdem: everyone folds to you on the Button and have TT. [6a] Fold [6b] Call [6c] Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
[6c] Raise

What's Stud?

/mc

Homer
12-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Here goes nothing...

1) a - Fold

2) b - Check and fold

3) b - Bet

4) b - Bet

5) c - Raise

6) c - Raise

7) (EDIT) Raise. Oops, I originally saw this as split 7's (in which case I would call).

8) c - Raise. Can't see any reason not to value raise here.

9) b - Call. The pot is probably large enough to make a crying call, especially if you think your opponent could have been semi-bluffing 6th street with 2-pair + 4 to a flush.

10) a - Fold. If you're ahead you're probably not much of a favorite since your opponent has the flush or straight draw plus 3 overcards, and you have a partially dead 6. If you're behind a made hand you're well behind.

11) a - Fold. This is a junk hand, I think.

-- Homer

colgin
12-05-2003, 06:28 PM
I only play Hold 'Em so here goes for the first 6:

1) Fold
2) Check and Fold.
3) Bet
4) Bet
5) Raise
6) Raise

I hope I am not missing something here.