PDA

View Full Version : Headsup from the blind

Ed Miller
12-05-2003, 11:06 AM
15-30 at the Bellagio. It has recently been a fantastic game, but two of the fantastic game-makers have just toddled off and now it's probably in the good game category. I'm posting this hand because I'm doing a review of my play in pots that are headsup on the flop. I think my play is good to excellent in multiway pots, but only mediocre in headsup pots. I'd like to change that. I expect to post more such hands in the future.

I am in the BB with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. There is an extra blind this hand, as someone has posted the big blind "in between" the button and the small blind. Folded to the button who raises. I don't know much about him, but I've seen him show down hands like J9s after raising in spots like this. In between blind folds, SB folds, and I call.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, button bets, I call.

Turn is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, button bets, I call.

River is 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I think you gave him two chances to continue with his aggression, hoping to steal, then made sure he didn't check the river. No problem by me. hope you didn't get raised.

al

glen
12-05-2003, 12:55 PM
This is pretty much my default way of playing in this situation. btw, did you move to Las Vegas, or are you just on an extended vacation?

Ed Miller
12-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Moved in late October.

Yeknom58
12-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Sometimes I'll check on the river too. I've noticed that people will bluff-bet the river with a wider range of hands than they would call a river bet with. This is assuming your hand is good. Online this is definitely the case as people can be very over agressive.

Also if your hand isn't good, sometimes you'll be raised.

Hmmm now that I really think about this one I think I like checking the river also but hey what do I know, I'm still learning to shuffle chips.

Oh and what do you think if we go to the Bellagio Buffet instead of the steak house on friday.

rharless
12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
If you are mediocre at headsup play, then I would hate to evaluate myself /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My take on it is that you are way-ahead or way-behind, and way-more likely to be way-ahead. You are going to showdown obviously. So, how do you win the most?

On the turn, I think I would have bet right there out of my habitual fear of him checking behind and getting a free card. But thinking about it now, if I bet, he will generally either raise or fold, and I wouldn't like for him to do either of those.

On the river, it seems that your bet comes out of nowhere and so his curiousity will probably make him call down with any show-downable hand, probably calling with several hands that he would simply check-behind on the river (pocket pair, KQ/Qx, etc).

JTG51
12-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Against a typical opponent I think this is the perfect line to take. Most players will call a river bet with a lot more marginal hands than they'd bet themselves in his spot, and won't raise you without a very strong hand. So, you'll gain an extra bet on the river quite a bit more often than you'll lose one.

David Sklansky
12-05-2003, 03:29 PM
I believe our books discuss this exact situation and recommend this precise play. The earlier checks are to induce bluffs and save money if beaten. The river bet is indicated if he will call with more hands, worse than yours, than he will bet, especially if he is not a raise bluffer.

Gabe
12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
It's rare that I play a weak ace any other way.

Gabe
12-05-2003, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe our books discuss this exact situation and recommend this precise play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think they do. It would be a more common play if this exact very common situation was addressed. I’m not complaining. I save thousands a year because other people don’t make this play, and make thousands because I do.

Paluka
12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
I actually think this is pretty standard, but I'm not sure in the long run it makes much difference whether you check or bet the river against a range of opponents. If you knew your opponents very well though and altered your river play accordingly it could make a big difference.

Philuva
12-05-2003, 04:49 PM
This is my default way of playing it. Only against opponents who are observant and I play against often will I mix it up and maybe lead at the flop or the turn sometimes.

I might be coming to Vegas in January, I will be sure to let you know if I do.

-Phil

elysium
12-05-2003, 06:09 PM
hi major
looks like a turn check-raise opportunity.