PDA

View Full Version : A9s 10-20 hand

Brian
12-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first hand post here in the Mid-High Stakes forum. I've been playing 3-6 and 5-10 regularly for the past 2 months or so, and decided to take a shot at 10-20. This is my first time to ever play higher than 5-10, and I set a 500 dollar stop-loss for myself. On to the hand.

I am dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG. The past few pots have been taken down uncontested before the Flop, and while there are certainly a few loosie goosies at the table who like to cold-call, since I hadn't played a hand in a few orbits (and had only played 2 since I sat down), I figured it was a fine time to raise. My default play is to raise ATs UTG, so I figured this wasn't too far off. I have a feeling most probably won't like this play.

So I raise. MP, a rather loose player who is nearing the end of his buy-in, cold-calls. Button, on whom I have no read, also cold-calls. SB, virtually a maniac, calls, and the BB, a decent player, calls. Hrm, maybe I should have limped. 5 to the Flop for 10sb.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Both of the blinds check to me and I bet. My hand is certainly worth a call if I check, and theres a decent chance I am ahead. MP and Button call, SB raises, and the rest of us call. 5 to the Turn for 20sb (10bb).

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB calls, I call. I think some might advocate a value raise here, but I didn't want to knock the others out, and I certainly didn't want the maniac 3 betting (unless of course, everyone else cold-called my raise). MP now raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, and I call. 3 to the River for 17bb.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, I check, MP bets with 1 BB remaining, SB folds, I raise, MP calls all-in. Results later.

-Brian

Ulysses
12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG.
I have a feeling most probably won't like this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a great default play? Probably not. But I've been seeing quite a few posts lately where people "mix it up" pre-flop w/ some real garbage (Hey Kenny, you reading this one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif). If you're going to mix it up, do it with something like a reasonably sized suited Ace. All the time, no. Once in a while? Fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Both of the blinds check to me and I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good. After two cold-calls, a raise, and two more calls, I assume you'll fold on the turn if you don't improve.

[ QUOTE ]
SB bets, BB calls, I call. I think some might advocate a value raise here

[/ QUOTE ]
No, no, no. Call. You have a nine. Still good.

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly didn't want the maniac 3 betting

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, I check, MP bets with 1 BB remaining, SB folds, I raise, MP calls all-in. Results later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nicely done. I predict you won.

samdash
12-05-2003, 09:09 AM
There is very little value to "mixing things up" in virtually any party poker game. People don't pay attention either because they're playing 3 tables or are just outright stupid. If you want to mix things up go bake a cake.

cybertilt
12-05-2003, 12:01 PM
NO! NO! NO! NO!

"since I hadn't played a hand in a few orbits" is no valid criterian for playing a hand now. Play your A game or go home.

"my default is to raise ATs UTG" this is barely a good limp UTG. Maybe you need an A game.

Ed Miller
12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
If the table is soft, raising A9s from UTG is almost certainly +EV. It may be slightly less +EV than limping is, but if it is, it would be only slightly.

It's not really a very good "variation" play, though, because most people would expect you to turn over a hand like A9s after raising UTG.

This is a close preflop decision all the way around... folding, calling, and raising are all reasonable options depending on specific game conditions. The fact that you think this is a terrible play suggests to me that you should revisit your preflop theory a little bit.

Yeknom58
12-05-2003, 01:01 PM
I also think calling on the turn was best.

WBueler
12-05-2003, 01:24 PM
what do you mean you "predict" he won, he has the nuts!

Roy Hobbs
12-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Checking the river is silly.

RH

Brian
12-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi Roy,

Why is checking the River silly? Not only was the MP player almost all-in, but since he raised the Turn, I had no reason to believe that he wouldn't bet/raise the River. If I bet out, and he raised all-in, then that would pretty much shut out the maniac SB in between us. I was hoping that the maniac SB would call one bet from the MP player, and then I could trap him for another.

-Brian

Brian
12-05-2003, 06:49 PM
MP has Q /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the turned Straight.

I played 1 10/20 table for about 3 hours last night, and it was very soft. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was definitely softer than most 5/10 games in which I play. At the end I was down about 5 BB's despite winning this monster (to me) pot. I have a QQ hand from the other night that I think I might have misplayed which I will post on here later tonight. Darn those overpairs, get me into so much trouble /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

anatta
12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey Cardplayer, I remember responding to your first post some months ago in the small stakes. I see you have worked hard at your game, made some money, and you are steadily moving up. Sweet.

Roy Hobbs
12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
I think I may have misread the post...I didn't remember there being a raise from the MP player. If you can be sure that he will bet, I like your play. My gut reaction to you not betting just comes from the probably hundreds of bets that I have lost going for river check raises and having it checked behind. And generally, I think that the river check behind is more likely when the late position bettor is facing two opponents instead of one...

cybertilt
12-11-2003, 11:33 AM
maybe you sir should review how much suited cards adds to your expected EV.

On 12/08/03 01:18PM you posted an absolute muck not even close to ATo UTG. To this post the same hand suited is a raise UTG. When you look these two up on poker room under 6,000 live hands 10/20 you will find ATo UTG is -.04 and ATs is +.12. I don't consider the difference of .16 EV a sound raising hand.

Philuva
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you look these two up on poker room under 6,000 live hands 10/20 you will find ATo UTG is -.04 and ATs is +.12. I don't consider the difference of .16 EV a sound raising hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?