PDA

View Full Version : Two folds after I make my hand

Ulysses
12-05-2003, 03:03 AM
Hand 1

Very loose, overaggressive Party 10-20 6-max game. Lots of multi-way multi-bet pots.

Loose way overaggressive guy open-raises. I cold-call w/ AsQs on the button. I almost always 3-bet in this situation. For no particular reason I just call this time. No need to comment on that. SB folds. BB calls.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7s, 8d, 9c ]

PFR bets. I raise. BB calls. PFR re-raises. Dammit. OK, I'll call and hope to see something I like on the turn. I'm very likely to be drawing very live against these guys. I call. BB now caps. Dammit. PFR calls. I call.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ah ]

BB now bets. PFR raises. Dammit. I thought that was a card I was looking for. OK. I fold.

Hand 2

Same game. Terrible EP limps. I raise w/ AcKd. SB (PFR from last hand) calls. BB calls. Limper calls.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Kh, 7c, 8c ]

Blinds check. Limper bets. I raise. SB 3-bets. BB folds. Limper caps. I call. SB calls.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6s ]

SB bets. Limper raises. I 3-bet. SB caps. Limper calls. I fold.

elysium
12-05-2003, 05:26 AM
hi ulysses
hand 1) whew....this looks like a southern cal game. i don't like the flop raise here. the raise signals to the bettor that you missed and ruins your play. also, the straightish board there. this flop likely hit the bettor and this guy aint goin nowhere, so raising will not win the pot for you on the flop. but, if you call, you can raise on the turn, and that raise may do it.

now, the raise isn't awful, but i'm of the old school line of thought that actually gives you a narrow lead with your overs. you need to often check-call or call only on the flop, and check-raise or raise on the turn when you figure to be in the lead. you've got seven outs and doing everything that you can by calling and then raising on the turn (and also manipulating the pot size a little, especially when the pre-flop is unraised) will give you the best chance to win. but the raise on the flop here ruins everything. terrible. and this guy's on an inside.

hand 2) oh no.....you folded!! these guy's are raising just for that reason. you can't fold these ulysses. the limper may have 2 pair or lowly middle pair. he's raising the loose aggressive to make you think that since he's raising two opponents he really has the goods. if he has two pair, you do well to call to the river. you may make a higher two pair or trips and/or you are in the lead. these guys will just have to show you that you're beat. if you're going to fold when a little raising breaks out, then only enter in with big pairs.

Ulysses
12-05-2003, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but the raise on the flop here ruins everything. terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very good. The break was good for you, Elysium. You are really on top of the game right now.

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to fold when a little raising breaks out, then only enter in with big pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know how I play by now, Elysium. This was a really strange fold for me, wasn't it? I wonder what others will think about this one.

andyfox
12-05-2003, 01:31 PM
I've never played on the web, and I've never played a 6-max game; I assume they're much more aggressive than B&M 9/10 player ring games. So take my comments with those grains of salt.

Re hand one: I have no hard stats to back it up, but I'm ninety-nine and forty-four one-hundredths per cent sure that I've never won a pot with A-K against more than one opponent when the flop comes T-9-8 or with A-Q when the flop comes 9-8-7. I'm done with it unless they give all check twice in front of me and I catch on the turn. And even then . . . I know you asked us not to comment on the pre-flop play, so I'll only do so peripherally: I wouldn't have done anything you did in hand one on any street. There, now at least you can't say I'm copying you. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

On hand 2, small blind 3-bet the flop and limper capped; now small blind bets the turn and limper raises. I sure don't like my one pair any more, no matter how overaggressive the players are.

mike l.
12-05-2003, 01:36 PM

Ulysses
12-08-2003, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never played on the web, and I've never played a 6-max game; I assume they're much more aggressive than B&M 9/10 player ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the same level of aggression as a 4- or 5-handed B&M ring game.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have done anything you did in hand one on any street

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that pretty much sounds right.

[ QUOTE ]
On hand 2, small blind 3-bet the flop and limper capped; now small blind bets the turn and limper raises. I sure don't like my one pair any more, no matter how overaggressive the players are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously the raise didn't convince me here, given my history w/ these guys. The cap did.

Ulysses
12-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Hand 1

BB 3-bet the turn. PFR called.

River 6c

BB bet. Raise, re-raise, cap.

BB had KTo. Nice turn 3-bet, huh? PFR had ATo.

So, I was in the lead on the turn.

Hand 2

River Jc

SB check. Limper bets. SB calls.

Limper takes it down w/ 6c2c.
SB had AsKs.

So, I was tied for the lead on the turn.

Oh well, I guess these were great folds since I would have gotten outdrawn on the river in both cases.