PDA

View Full Version : A3o in the SB at final table

Brian
12-05-2003, 01:55 AM
At the final table of the SS vs Zoo Limit tournament. 5 players are left, and the blinds are 300/600. Average stack is about 10k, chip leader (the BB in this hand) has about 20k, I have around 11k.

I pick up A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB and it's folded to me. I raise it to 900 and the BB calls. The BB is a pretty aggressive player pre-Flop who plays decently post-Flop.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet 600, and the BB calls.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Fearing that the BB may bluff-raise me representing the Flush, and confident that I want to take my hand to the showdown, I check. BB bets 1200, I call.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, BB bets, I call. Thoughts? Results later.

-Brian

Turn:

PlayerA
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
I thought the min. you could raise to is 1200. Anyhow, I see no point in raising to 900. The BB gets 5:1 to call the additional 300. It would be a mistake to fold anything in this spot. So, you've made a value raise with an ok hand. According to the Sklanksy-Karlson result, all-in is a profitable long term play. I wouldn't move all in though. I would still want to make a raise that gives my opponent a chance to fold (like 2-3 BB depending on how tight BB is).

On the flop, you've made a bet where the opponent will only fold a completely missed hand with no draws (i.e. only a worse hand will slim chances of improvement will fold). In your situation, I'd bet out at least 1200. Again I want to give my opponent a chance to fold a range of hands. If called, I can now have a clue that they either have something or a draw to something.

Your check on the turn invites a bet. Given that it is only 1200, you should at least call since he may very well be bluffing since you've represented weakness up to now. I think a check-raise is a better play. In this case, you've represented weakness to now. A check-raise says: "Ha ha, I hit my flush now let's build the pot". If re-raised, fold.

On the river, you check, he bets and you still have no idea of anything about the strength of his hand and your actions have indicated that your own hand is weak. Given all of that, you probably have to call because the likelihood of a bluff is high.

Runner Runner
12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
"According to the Sklanksy-Karlson result, all-in is a profitable long term play. I wouldn't move all in though"

It's a limit holdem tournament.

I don't mind the way you played it. The raise preflop is obvious, so is betting the flop. You obviously were trying to induce a bluff from worse hands while saving money when your hand is no good by check-calling the turn, and you clearly thought that your opponent would automatically bet if checked to. I would play it the same way if you know that he will always bet headsup whether he has a hand or not. If this is not the case however, I would of bet the turn and either bet or check-called the river.

PlayerA
12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Guess I should read more carefully.