PDA

View Full Version : river check raise

george w of poker
12-05-2003, 12:06 AM
if you are checked raised on the river when you are holding top pair good kicker, what are the things to consider when deciding to call or fold.

how often should you be folding here?

bdk3clash
12-05-2003, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you are checked raised on the river when you are holding top pair good kicker, what are the things to consider when deciding to call or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I like general strategy questions, but sometimes they're hard to evaluate without specific hands to talk about.

Things I would be looking at include:

-Probable draws that came in on the river (for example, a flush draw that came in)
-Whether my opponent has check-raise bluffed on the river in the past. (Of all the bluffs one could run, a heads-up check-raise bluff seems the least likely, since it's probably the least likely to work.)
-My opponent's play on previous streets. (As an example, if he capped before the flop, then called down when the flop was ace high, then a K or a Q hits the river, and he check-raises. But then the pot's big enough that I'm calling anyway w/ AK. So no way I'm folding there, but you get the idea.)
-The size of the pot. I'm basically looking at it as a gamble at this point. If the pot is now 10 BB, I actually conscious ask myself if I'm beat here 90% of the time. If I'm getting an overlay, I call. If I'm not, I fold. Most of the time I end up calling, and I suspect I'm ahead with this play.

If only PokerTracker has a "Crying Call" filter!

[ QUOTE ]
how often should you be folding here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's easy. 100% of the time when you're beat, and 0% of the time, when you're ahead. /images/graemlins/grin.gif