PDA

View Full Version : you should'a bet the turn...

02-19-2002, 04:42 AM
pocket 33 in the BB. UTG straddles, he's totally tilting. 2UTG raises and all but one call to me. UTG has three more bets so I cap, but I didn't know it's a four raise limit when it's straddled, so 8 players go to 5 bets each.

Amazingly, the flop of Q 2 4 rainbow only brings one bet from mid position, and six callers. Of course I peel one off for those odds.

The turn is a queen and they all check.

The river is a three, of hearts, finishing the flush. I bet and UTG raises, one cold calls and I just call. UTG has 65o for the straight, the cold caller folds when she sees my boat.

comments welcome.

Dave in Cali

02-19-2002, 03:01 PM
i cant say that i agree with the raise preflop just to get the utg all in by the end of the hand. seems overly agressive especially with such a large field clearly your hand cant even be close to the best pre flop with seven others in for so much. they cant all be badd players.... unless of course your at a heck of a table.

i understand the flop call and turn check...

the river... hand sthat beat your are

Q2,Q3,Q4,44,QQ

anyone with the first three of those should not be in there with that much action preflop.

44 probably would have bet once before the river

and QQ is statictically very unlikely.

so why call your full house. you have the fortune of knowing how many are in, a re raise here wont chase anyone, and with the flush on the board you look to have at least one of the two remaining to call. being agressive here is definatly the correct play. it also helps your image.. do you want to be known as a player who only bets once with a full house?

you missed out on 2bb here.. maybe 3or4 if the utg is a complete idiot as he seems to be

02-19-2002, 04:48 PM
A single bet on the turn would cause you to fold?

The way I count it you're getting 46(+2n)-2 = 23-1 odds, not counting any extra BB's you're getting from the river when you do hit.(n= number of callers)

If you were plannign to fold on the turn, could you explain it ? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

02-19-2002, 05:57 PM
Let's see. 8 callers. If you call 3 bets you have bet 3 to get a chance to win 32. You've got about a one in 8 chance of flopping a set, so it looks like you've got odds there. 4 bets makes it 4 bets to win 40. Not much difference. So I don't think your raise makes much difference.

By the time you get to the river, you're not going to fold anyway. So the question is if you want to go for the extra bet. With that many bets in the pot, you don't care. You're so excited the 3 came, you yell out, "Yes, my boat filled!". And then raise. Why not. Go for the extra bets. There's a lot more hands that you've got beat in this situation than could have you beat.

02-19-2002, 08:19 PM

02-26-2002, 05:16 PM
pre-flop I thought it made little difference as i was getting the odds to flop a set and expected bookoo action either way, so i was just saving time by capping (or as it turned out, reraising again).

flop i probably would have called two bets (but would have paused to be sure) IF I was sure of no reraise, the pot was huge.

on the turn, again i would have had to think about pot size and would not have folded automatically, but the freebie was nice.

on the river i probably lost a couple bets, i have no real counter-arguement there, good thoughts guys.

dave in cali