PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 AQ hand.

Duke
12-04-2003, 06:21 PM
10-20 full game. 3 horrid players, a buddy of mine who is better than me, and some other decent players.

Horrid player open raises UTG+1 and is 3-bet by the guy who's better than me.

Folded to me with AdQd in the cutoff, and I fold.

Thoughts?

No I wouldn't have won, and no I didn't have the best hand, but is the fold automatic or is it close?

~D

Georgia Peach
12-04-2003, 06:28 PM
I think I would have paid to see the flop.

Ulysses
12-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Is your buddy 3-betting the horrid player to isolate any time the horrid player raises? If so, I'd consider a 4-bet. But unless I felt pretty sure that was what's going on, I'd consider this an easy muck.

Duke
12-04-2003, 07:14 PM
You would have called 3 bets cold, or would you have 4-bet?

The former has to be wrong, so the latter seems to be the only option, and I didn't feel right about it.

~D

Yeknom58
12-04-2003, 07:15 PM
I think you should raise it or fold. You should fold because a good player is probably 3 betting with a pretty good hand. You should raise because your AQs might look pretty good if the solid player is trying to isolate the horrid player with a marginal hand.

How often will he try an isolation move? If he doesn't do this very often you should probably fold.

Inthacup
12-04-2003, 07:21 PM
I say toss it. If your friend is a really good player, then yes he could be widening his 3-betting standards to isolate the gimp.

However, you're playing a dangerous game against a guy who you know has the ability to play some good poker post flop.

I'd fold and wait for a better spot.

Duke
12-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I think the 3-bet was a 3-bet hand. I put him on Kings since I had an ace and a queen. Turned out he had Kings.

Yeah, I'd rather take my buddies' money than anyone else's, but I figured I was way behind.

I think if he was in later position I would have considered a 4-bet.

~D

trillig
12-05-2003, 02:03 AM
3 bets to call cold with AQ? Yes! Very good fold to me.

-t

Josh W
12-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Duke -

If this 'friend' is some guy who has a kid the same name but different spelling than your neice, and has a similar build to you and I, then...

The thing about T...he'll threebet with a wide range of hands to isolate, IF.....

He believes that if an absolute chump is raising UTG or UTG+1, he still has a hand. As such, his threebetting standards are still normal threebetting standards.

Hmm, let me try to clear that up a little. Let's say Gimp raises, and T threebets. Let's consider two options here...in both bases, T is in the cutoff.

If (A), Gimp is UTG, I'd fold AK.
If (B), Gimp is two off the button, I'd 4-bet AQ or AJ.

Note that in both situations, T is in the same position. So, I guess my point is, don't pay attention to the 3-bettor's position...pay attention to the initial raiser (especially when T is the threebettor)...if a lesser player is the 3-bettor, he probably cares less about the initial raiser's position. If this isn't painfully clear to you, I'll try to make it so in a few hours when I hit your soil...

Josh

P.S. easy muck.

elysium
12-05-2003, 04:19 AM
hi duke
your buddy is reraising to get the horrid heads up. it's likely that your buddy has KQs or even AJo, sometimes even KJ. it's something like 3 or 4 to 1 against your AQs being dominated. terrible fold. a clear, clear reraising opportunity.

Duke
12-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Funny coincidence I guess. :-)

Yeah he had KK.

~D