PDA

View Full Version : Under what circumstances would you go for a river checkraise?

offTopic
12-04-2003, 06:11 PM
UB 3-6; I've got QJo in the BB. Everybody limps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay. UTG and the next 3 guys all limp, SB folds, I check. 5 of use see a flop of A T 8 rainbow.

I bet my double-gutter, and everyone calls /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Turn: [A T 8] Kh - putting two hearts on the board.

I bet and everyone calls /images/graemlins/crazy.gif, except the last guy, who raises it. I 3-bet, UTG calls, next two guys fold, and the raiser caps it.

River: [A T 8 K] blank, an offsuit 6, I think.

I...bet.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

rkiray
12-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I think you played it fine. Looks like you may be splitting the pot. FWIW I almost never check raise the river.

LetsRock
12-04-2003, 06:33 PM
This wouldn't have been a good spot to C/R.

I like to C/R the river when I've been limping along the whole hand and the river hits me big (gutshot, flush, hidden boat) with a "blank looking" card and there's been someone (especially an aggressive PFR) sitting near my left betting each round.

The closer to your left the bettor is, the more bets you can trap. Some would tell you to bet out and hope to 3-bet it, but I find that when I'm limping along and suddenly come to life (especially on a flush card) I don't get much action.

This needs to be used sparingly, as even the fish will get wise to this move real quick. These kinds of plays are really most effective in a session where you're getting lots of cards to play and you can mix tactics up effectively in quick succesion.

Brian
12-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi offTopic and rkiray,

I check-raise the River often, especially against thinking opponents. If you never check-raise the River, then your opponents will value bet you with impunity. That being said, I would just bet here, and hope to trap the UTG guy for more bets. Check-raising would cut him off from the pot. But, the most important thing you should learn from this thread is to check-raise the River a fair number of times. This just isn't a spot for it.

-Brian

offTopic
12-04-2003, 07:22 PM
As had been mentioned, I was hoping to get UTG trapped as he seemed to like his hand a little rest than myself and the capper. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I bet and UTG folded...oh well. The capper only called, which gave me some hope that I wasn't splitting the pot after all, and my hand was good. (Capper had KT, just a leeeeetle overplayed...)

Thanks for the responses.