PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods trip report...from B&M forum.(Long)

morgant
12-04-2003, 04:40 PM
I will post a trip report from Foxwoods this past saturday night. As has become customary for me i booked a night at the Super 8 in Groton and didnt even bother to check in after my 3+ hour car ride to the woods. I got to the Poker room around 9pm and put myself on the lists for 2/4-5/10, ultimately wanting to play 5/10......but there is no sense in sitting around if i can get in another game sooner. Low a behold the first game i was called for was 5/10. Now usually i play 4-8 at the woods and only had one brief encounter with 5/10, but my play has become better in this time as has my bankroll support as a result. So here goes an honest nights worth of 5/10 with a kill at pots exceeding $100. The first hand was pleasant glimpse into the night ahead. I opt to wait for my big blind to scope out the table. My first BB i receive AKo...not a bad start. An old goat in EP raised. Folded around to me. In hindsight i should reraise to see where i am at..but this is my first hand at a new table and i dont want to be sending out any improper messages right yet. So i call. The flop comes down with an ace! We go at eachother and i beat his AQ for a decent pot...After this point i was hitting every flop and people were playing with me. I was playing a solid aggressive game and a tad looser than normal due to my cards routinely coordinating so well with the board. I overheard the old goat warn a new player that i was aggressive and a decent player....That provided me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside. Then the old goat who announced his age at 83 said to the young guy next him..."i just got laid this morning!" the table erupted in the typical "i am 26 and havent been laid in a year, you go gramps!"
This game had relatively the same feel as my 4-8 games, with the exception of a lot more semi-bluffing/aggressive betting on the come. The table had a couple rocks, some calling stations, and the three cowboy college friends who were intermittently butting heads. I found my niche and crushed the competition and i have to say it felt really good. One hand i had pocket fours on the button with one caller to me. Obviously this has no importance to poker but 4 is my number. I raise the blinds and get the BB calling station to call as does the limper. The flop comes with two clubs and a beautiful 4! The BB comes out firing, i raise he reraises all the while the limper is playing along. Turn is a blank and i manage to get two bets out of each of them. The river...yes you got it another 4, it was also a club and the calling station leads out again, low and behold the river gets capped on a kill pot and the bb proudly shows his A high flush.....The table broke very soon after with morgant being just under a 100BB to the better.
I rathole my initial $500 buy in, plus $200 that was bought of me at the table and decide to have a go at pot limit.
I had a rack(500) and a 4 greens in my hands as i approached the pl game which was away from the main poker section. As i got nearer i got frightened, i played the game once before but it didnt look like this...Several players had around 2K in chips, not to mention the backup in bills behind their racks....Wow....I had about 1300 total and was only willing to lose half of it. I bailed out and played some black jack which was on the way back to the poker room...I tell ya, it was my night, i left the black jack 400 to the better and decided alright i have enough of a cushion to play with these guys whats the worst that can happen. It is late in the evening now and the PL game has moved back into the main poker section, i have a seat in the 4 seat, the table was 6handed and some 7 handed. Blinds were 5/10. I was very nervous, much more so than when i play NL online. The money feels more real in the B&M and i was a bit intimidated by these guys, and i am sure they smelled it. Most hands never went to a flop, someone bet pot ~$50 preflop and that was it. I bet pot with pair of K's and got called by this snotty kid who was about my age. The flop had an ace and he checked to me. I sensed no ace from him and fired a 100 bet to which he folded a pair of 8's...NICE!!!!!, I bet pot with a AKo, and got called by an older man, who seemed a regular in this game and i wasnt aware of until later that he liked to slowplay his big hands. He called my bet. The flop came JQK all spades..., wtf, i have no spade and check, he makes a $50 bet at the ~$135 pot, i reraise him the pot $190(good bet or no?) to which he fires back with a $700 bet, just about putting me all-in. I ponder and sweat and my head spins, i have never been face to face to such a large bet and have the funds to cover it, what an intense feeling.....I have no spades, no real read, and am overwhelmed with emotions, my big slick hits the muck. He gave me a smirk and flashed me a pair of jacks and said good fold!

Joe Tall
12-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Wow, what a PL-hand story! Nice fold.

Nice report, morgant. I was there at the 10/20 on Friday late, too bad I didn't wear my "I'm a 2+2er" T-shirt.

Maybe next time,
Joe Tall