PDA

View Full Version : 3rd street decision - Party 5-10 Stud

nykenny
12-04-2003, 03:22 PM
3rd Street:
[xx]6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif brings in.
[xx]A /images/graemlins/spade.gif completes.
All folds to me.
I have [4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif]A /images/graemlins/club.gif. i take a moment and call. bad?

4th street:
[xx]6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif - checks
[xx]A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif - bets
Me [4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif]A /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif - calls
[xx]65 raises! [xx]AT calls. and I reraise!

good?

results to follow

berya
12-04-2003, 07:13 PM
1. I would muck.
2. OK.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-04-2003, 10:09 PM
The call of what appears to be a legit raise is a bit iffy, to say the least. The only thing you had going was that your fours were hidden. Obviously you got the perfect card on 4th. Anything less (except maybe an ace) and I hope you were gone on 4th. As it happened, reraising 4th is fine, or you could have even waited till 5th or 6th and that would have also been fine with me. I probably would have waited till a big bet round to put in a raise tho, but I am not too critical of your play here, except third.

al

Ray Zee
12-04-2003, 10:14 PM
a consideration would be to raise on fouth to knock out the 6,5 hand so he doesnt pick up a draw on fifth street. you want to play headup against the ace, not three way with a draw in there.

Andy B
12-05-2003, 06:44 AM
If he only continues past fourth street if he catches an Ace or a Four, then he shouldn't call on third street to begin with. If I were to play the hand, I'd usually press on if I caught a club as well.

That said, I would usually muck on third street. I might play if the raiser were known to get seriously out of line or was in a steal position or something. We don't know how many players were dealt in or what they showed or anything.

I'd probably wait until fifth street to pop it, but getting the raise in on fourth street is fine.

MRBAA
12-05-2003, 12:19 PM
easy,much on third. Unraised, you could raise this. Much of the value of playing this hand comes from stealing/winning without showdown on 4th/5th. Once someone shows strength, you should be out. Also too tricky on fourth. Just play it fast -- small trips aren't that great and your side card is dead.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-05-2003, 01:05 PM
You are right, I missed the two clubs. I would call again (one bet anyway) if I caught a club on 4th. Also, if the raiser had been in a steal position it's a better call than if he wasn't.

al

patrick dicaprio
12-05-2003, 01:19 PM
third street should be a raise or fold, or at least that is how i generally play it. the time to call is if the bring in will generally fold alot with his bad hands to a completed bet, so you dont risk a reraise if the A has aces. but you want to be heads up.

given that you called i think the reraise is a viable play but you should give strong thought to waiting until fifth street to raise because you will win a bigger pot and will trap some bets, as at 5-10 the bigger pot will likely keep them tied on to the end. reraising may be OK on fourth depending on your thought process. for example, will the 56 raise again if bet into on fifth if you just call. note that if he called a raise from an A on third street and he is a typical player he could have a fourflush, but a better player might be less likely to have a three flush in that situation.

Pat

patrick dicaprio
12-05-2003, 01:26 PM
it seems like players want to fold on third. but there is no info about the player completing, and in any event my experience is that many players will complete with many hands here and will not play that strongly afterwards. so if you can play heads up and if teh A is a typical 5-10 player it may be worth playing. at least i dont think it is an automatic fold.

pat

MRBAA
12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
The key for me in folding on third is that there is a raise in front of you from an overcard. Small pairs are drawing hands in a loose stud game -- you want to be able to be aggressive, raise representing a big pair and hopefully either win it right there or win on 4th or 5th. Those times you are fortunate to make trips are very profitable, but they wouldn't be enough on their own to play baby pairs IMHO. So once someone raises, I'm gone.