PDA

View Full Version : Buy the button

ACPlayer
12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
In a mid-limit post another player described a couple of posting procedures, including buying the button. Buying the button is permitted at Foxwoods, where by posting the small and big blind a player who has missed the blinds can get into the action and will have the button on the next deal.

Is it correct to buy the button?

I for one almost never buy the button preferring to either post behind (my usual action) or wait for the big blind, simply because I want the dead money behind the button rather than in first place. The only time I would consider buy the button if the field was so tight and the late position players so passive that there was a chance every one would fold and I would get a free round (at FW it does happen occaisionally).

How do others analyze this option?

CrackerZack
12-04-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm also not a button buyer. But I think this is very close. For the cost of the SB you get 2 extra hands, one with the worst possible position one with the best. That alone would seem to make buying the button a good play but when you post in the cutoff, you frequently get a free play or a discounted play, with good position, which also has value. I tend to lean towards posting in the C/O instead of buying the button but will always come in as the BB if its nearby.

I know Tommy Angelo loves the buy the button rule and his obsession with position and my knowledge that he's a lot better player that I am make me think there may be more value in it, but I'm still skeptical.