PDA

View Full Version : Lay this down?

Brian
12-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Party 5/10. Been at this table for a few hours, and despite their being two 2+2'ers on my right, the rest of the table is quite good. The EP player in this hand was new to the table. I am dealt Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the cutoff. UTG and EP limp, folded to me and I raise. BB and UTG calls, EP re-raises, I cap, BB folds, UTG calls. 3 to the Flop for 14sb.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Both check to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Both check to me, I bet, UTG calls, and now EP raises. Your move?

crockpot
12-04-2003, 01:06 AM
i think i'd fold. a limp-reraise after a limper is an odd play, but i'd still be inclined to put him on something good. his play isn't consistent with anything you can beat, such as AK, AJ or TT. if the opponent is a rational player, your only chance is that he has the other two queens (or you river a queen).

Thomsen
12-04-2003, 05:10 AM
I would not lay this down.

I think he might have ak /images/graemlins/club.gif or maybe aj /images/graemlins/club.gif

Call and check call

kiddo
12-04-2003, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a limp-reraise after a limper is an odd play

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with AA or even KK and a pretty aggressive but not very loose table preflop (that is a table with decent players like this).

A limpreraise preflop, a checkcall on flop and a checkraise against 2 players on turn: This is AA.

If I had any read on this player as beeing normal I would fold my overpair. Since he is new to the table you can hope he is a maniac or just extremly tricky and call him down.

Hallett
12-04-2003, 06:04 AM
This makes perfect sense:

Put yourself in early position with AA or KK. Let's say you want to slowplay for some reason. (not the best plan) Flop gets a bet and a raise. You had better get in there and re-raise, other wise you are going to get beat by 10-9 who hits two pair or something like that. Gotta re raise. Turn you are not certain what is out there, so you call. River you know there is no flush, no straight, and unlikely trips. Raise till the cows come home.

I think..

Bob T.
12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
I have to admit, that I am confused by his betting pattern. I am not laying this one down, but I don't think I am raising anymore either. I go into call down mode. If it is checked to me, I bet.

elindauer
12-04-2003, 06:54 AM
I've seen a lot of players lately that think their suited cards are worth reraising once they limp in and it comes back to them with several players involved. They just figure they're taking out more than average and pop it again. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you were against AJs, AKs, etc. Of course, AA is also possible.

I think that against most people, you should 3-bet. Somebody holding AA is likely to go into check-and-call mode now, and you can check behind on the river. If you are facing aces, you probably win and lose the same. In fact, once in a while somebody will make a big laydown and you'll win a pot you would have lost. If they are drawing, you frequently gain an extra bet.

Very few players will cap with a hand that you can beat. There is no reason to think that this opponent is such a player.

Calling this down would be my second choice. Don't fold.

chesspain
12-04-2003, 08:28 AM
It certainly looks like your opponent had AA (or even KK). He'ld have to have huge balls to limp-reraise with AK and then attempt a checkraise on the turn without the goods, especially since you capped preflop. I also think opponent would realize that it's very unlikely that the turn card helped either you or UTG, and his big pair is looking like it will hold up.

Of course, I'ld probably call it down, but I wish I would have the fortitude to fold it /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barry
12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi Brian -

As you know, I was 2 to your right last night. At the time he had been at the table only for a few orbits. Against an unknown, I'd have to give him credit for AA or KK.

In this situation, I don't think that I would have capped preflop, and called the flop and turn when he bet. On the river the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits and you're now only ahead of TT, so laying it down here can't be terrible, but I guess that I would have called the river also.

FWIW, I think that I had the best seat at the table with the 2 of you to my left, I was often able to isolate the weaker players to my right with good success throughout the evening.

Bob T.
12-04-2003, 01:13 PM
FWIW, I think that I had the best seat at the table with the 2 of you to my left, I was often able to isolate the weaker players to my right with good success throughout the evening.

First one through the buffet line gets to pick out all the best stuff /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Loose to my right, and tight to my left is my favorite seat.

Barry
12-04-2003, 01:25 PM
As Clarkmeister put it, he wants to have FROI (1st right of isolation) and I had it. Thank god they never 3-bet me!

Brian
12-04-2003, 06:12 PM
I called the Turn, as did UTG.

River: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Well, any hope that I am ahead has now diminished. UTG checks, EP bets, and I make the crying call. UTG folds.

EP has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I think capping pre-Flop is correct. I also think I should've folded to the Turn check-raise; of course, that's easy to say now, knowing he had AA, but theres simply not any other hand he could have had.

-Brian

samdash
12-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Hi Brian
I don't think I would ever fold in this scenario. Even if you're 90% sure your opponent has AA or KK its still probably correct to call down. Plus you could look at it as a drawing hand and will likely collect a double bet if you spike a Q on the riva.

rharless
12-05-2003, 01:53 PM
I seem to remember a little disgruntlement when you attempted to complete a couple small blinds.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barry
12-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about those, just trying to complete and you raised in the BB. I think once I even had the good sense to fold when it came back to me.