PDA

View Full Version : watching the race

stripsqueez
12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
around 15 years ago i ran a system at horse and dog races - the system was almost entirely mathematical although i had to be on-course for the system to work - i would bet on nearly every race, not just the races at the particular track i was at - commonly 3-4 additional race meetings could be bet on so i would be betting on a race every 10 minutes or so

i found that i was very busy running the system and one day it occured to me that i should stop watching the races i bet on so that i would have more time - the first time i didnt watch a race i had bet on i had a sort of gambling epiphany

picture yourself in a vast bookmakers ring at a race track with maybe 500 other people - at various strategic posistions there are TV monitors which display each race covered at the track - i sat a small distance away from the ring running calculations for the next race - as the race was about to start my 500 fellow punters converged in front of the 3-4 TV monitors - as if by chance a near perfect triangle of tightly compacted punters stretched out from the front of each monitor - all other, previously cramped space, was suddenly vacated

the race began and the garbled sound of a race caller was all that could be heard - the usual background of human chatter faded to nothing - as the race got closer and closer to completion a slow roar of excited yelling sprang up ever accelerating until the race caller could no longer be heard - as the noise peaked many punters were stretched forward, arms in the air, screaming and barking the name of there horse at the screen - i observed many riding a horse in a manner reminiscent of a dog running in its sleep

suddenly, as the yelling reached its peak, the race finished - a sudden sea of betting tickets appeared above and around the crowd forming a triangle of thier own on the ground, as the crowd dissapated as quickly as it had formed

"how bizarre" i thought - i resolved at that point to never seek to know the result of any contest i was involved in - "ignore the scoreboard" has since proven to be perhaps the best advice i have ever given

so it is that i feel a sense of shame to say that as i routinely fold 75 of spades on the button after a raise i still look back from the other game i am playing to check whether 346 of spades have flopped - sometimes i am too busy to check but if i have time i nearly always do

although i sense the question is like the conundrum of there being only masturbaters and liars in the world - would anyone care to share ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Mike Haven
12-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Nice.