PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing question about big bets

FishyWhale
12-03-2003, 11:32 AM
We all know that, in limit, a big bet is twice the size of the big blind and the size of the bets on turn and river. Does the same apply for PL and NL? I.e. in PL omaha with blinds of $1/2, would you say that a big bet is $2 (because thatīs the [minimum] bet size on turn and river), or $4 (because thatīs twice the big blind)? Iīd like to know this because Iīd like to keep all of my hourly rates in terms of bb/h for better comparison.

The Dude
12-03-2003, 12:42 PM
When referring to bets, in NoLimit and PotLimit BB stands for Big Blinds, not Big Bets. The term Big Bets isn't used. Also, after the flop, all bets are stated in dollar amounts and compared to pot size and stack sizes. It becomes useless information to compare post-flop bets to the blinds.

FishyWhale
12-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Also, after the flop, all bets are stated in dollar amounts and compared to pot size and stack sizes. It becomes useless information to compare post-flop bets to the blinds.

I am well aware of that. The main reason why I asked the question was, as I mentioned, for the purpose of keeping easily comparable records.

Jon Matthews
12-03-2003, 03:46 PM
The minimum bet on each betting round in PL/NL is 1xBB (big blind). The only other number you could take into account with these games is the buyin as if you double through, which is always your goal, it's twice as much on a 100BB buyin table as 50BB, obviously. The BB is probably handier for records.

If you play on a prima poker server, last I checked, the min bet on turn and river is 2xBB, but that's just lazy programming!

Jon

fireman664
12-03-2003, 04:11 PM
when I first switched from limit to no-limit (hold-em) I had the same problem. Now I just keep track of money, since my goals were no longer expressed in BB per hour but in doubling up, it didnt give me much feedback other than to keep track of winning or losing. I would say just figure out a way you are happy with keeping your records, and run with it. Good luck

Nottom
12-04-2003, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you play on a prima poker server, last I checked, the min bet on turn and river is 2xBB, but that's just lazy programming!

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that you have to bet in multiples of the BB as well. Its really annoying in tourneys when the blinds get high and I can't bet the amount I want.

Wardfish
12-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Why not keep track in terms of (small bets * 2).

Obviously, in limit this is the same size as the big bet. In no-limit, let the small bet = the big blind.

This will allow you to make reasonable comparisons.