PDA

View Full Version : looking at your cards

02-11-2002, 03:28 PM
I read a lot where people describe the pre-flop action then say "so I looked at my cards and saw..."

Do you really wait until it's your turn to play before looking at your cards? Why?

I've only played live once, most of my play is online where you see your cards immediately. When I played at the Luxor I just peeked at my cards as soon as I got them.

Another question, is there much danger of someone else seeing your cards in live action? I was very paranoid about this when I played. How do you cover them so only you can see them?

02-11-2002, 04:47 PM
Why would you look before you had to? Unless you're a robot you will react to your cards, perhaps perceptibly to the folks acting before you.

When it's my turn pre-flop I look at the other people, also watch them bet and "act" while betting, also look at people following me. Then I look at my cards. No, you can not read everyone like a book but subtle actions will help you decide in those marginal situations.

When the cards are first dealt you should be watching and listening to the other players, not putting the hores blinders on. You might even consider merely pretending to look in your hole while actually watching everyone else, then you can look for real when you need to.

02-11-2002, 05:47 PM
One is as Go-off gomez suggested. The other,and the one I use is that I can quickly look at my cards and then still watch the action. I therefore have formulated my play before the action gets to me. It gives me more time to make a decision on my action. I think it's a personal choice, though.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you a picture at one way to look at your cards so that only you can see them.

02-11-2002, 05:58 PM
If you can make good snap decisions, then it is better to look at the last moment, so as not to give away any tells. If you need more time to think about your actions, then it's probably better to look as soon as you get them.

The method I use for looking at my cards: I square them up with the long edge facing me. Then I lift the near right corner and peek at the values.

02-11-2002, 06:08 PM
If you lift the corner with your left thumb, you can use your right hand to form a "cave" over the cards, preventing anyone from being able to see.

02-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Thanks, my e-mail is dsykes2@cogeco.ca

02-11-2002, 06:27 PM
I try not to look at mine right away if I am not in the first couple to act. The reason I have is that I tended to grab chips if I was going to play. By not looking I do not give that information out anymore. I usually look when the action is to the person next to me. I get enough time to decide and I don't give away my intention to soon.

02-11-2002, 06:41 PM
"Do you really wait until it's your turn to play before looking at your cards? Why?"

Yes. Because it's very hard for someone to get a tell on you if you don't know what your cards are.

"is there much danger of someone else seeing your cards in live action? I was very paranoid about this when I played. How do you cover them so only you can see them?"

Yes. I cup one hand behind and around my cards, and lift up only one corner with my other hand. And I only look at them once (anyone who can't memorize their two cards with one look should not play poker), unless I'm trying to accomplish something else by looking at them again later in the hand.

02-11-2002, 07:28 PM
I play in a $20-$40 game where one individual takes a different approach to avoid giving tells. He instructs the dealer to place his cards almost in the middle of the table. He never looks at his hand until he is raised on fourth street.Prior to fourth street, he takes every bet available to him unless he is heads up. Almost by definition this means the pot is capped preflop and on the flop. Needless to say this approach tends to change the dynamics of the game.

Anybody have a good counter strategy? Believe it or not he leaves the table a winner more time than you would think possible including some incredable wins

02-11-2002, 09:42 PM

02-12-2002, 01:28 AM
I think that looking and disguising your reaction is one of the games within the game that adds interest to the otherwise dull moments. If you are skilled at it, not only will it not cost you money, it will add to your winnings.

02-12-2002, 04:23 AM
Hi David,

In addition to not giving off tells, by looking before you have to act, there is one more advantage to not looking. While watching the action come around to me, and watching the potential action behind me, I am involved in the game, making decisions... what can I raise with here, what can I call with here, what did they tell me. I stay involved with the hand longer, and I learn more about my opponents. Because I'm still involved in the hand, the things that I learn are more vivid, and more useful than otherwise.

Good luck,

Bob T.

02-12-2002, 11:46 AM

02-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Try to sit right next to him acting just before him. By taking a bet I assume you mean he calls. You should get a lot of free bets when you have good hands that you wouldn't normally get.

Hard to believe anyone could win at $20-$40 playing that way. He doesn't adjust for position? He plays anything in early position? And he still wins? What game was that?