PDA

View Full Version : Softplaying and Cheating

02-11-2002, 02:58 PM
I play in a mid-size cardroom that is the only one available within a four hour drive.

Most of the time, only one "big" game (15-30/20-40) is spread. As you can imagine, this results in many of the same players in the game nearly every day.

There are certain groups of people who will check pots down when they are headsup. Though I don't really agree with this, I usually don't have a big problem with it either, because I know most of the players who do this and don't believe they use this to cheat in any way. Before going any further, I will say that I NEVER softplay.

However, there was a situation that arose the other day that was suspicious to say the least. Earlier in the game, I had witnessed a THREE-WAY checkdown (which I DO disagree with).

In this hand, two of those players were involved. UTG raised (typical player), the next player called (BAD player), big blind called (decent player).

The flop came K74 rainbow; BB checks, UTG bets, third player RAISES...BB folds, and the other two CHECK IT DOWN. UTG shows 99, the other player 65 for an open-end straight draw. This second player frequently expresses the fact that he doesn't care if he wins as long as certain players lose.

Softplaying, especially in this manner is a BIG problem, but what can the cardroom do about it? I have discussed it with management (as have many others...it is a big problem in this room), and they have stated that there is NOTHING they can do about it. They say that lawsuits could be brought against them for singling players out in any way.

What actions could be taken by management. How do other cardrooms handle this situation? The only alternative for other players is not to play at all, since there is no access to other games.

02-11-2002, 04:13 PM
I don't see anything suspicious about the way that 99/65 hand was played. If people are teaming up to raise you out of pots when they hold little, then you need to slowplay your good hands a little more and wait to make it 3 bets when they try this play (but tend to play a little tighter with your marginal hands since you know you will likely have to give it up to a raise). Trust me, after you've snapped them off a couple of times, they'll stop that s***. Also, aside from the bet-raise-fold, check-check, check-check routine, what's the problem with softplaying? Why should you care where the money goes when it doesn't involve you (I'm talking about ring games here)? Either way, the money is just as much not-yours.

-MD

02-12-2002, 03:12 AM
If people are teaming up to raise me (or others) out of pots, that is COLLUSION.

Nothing is inherently wrong with softplaying. Some people do it honestly.

However, if I have a buddy at the table and I know we will softplay each other when headsup, we can make additional moves to get others out of the pot.

Why should I care where the money goes when it doesn't involve me? It DOES involve me if two players are colluding.

02-14-2002, 07:02 PM
I don't know how many times I've had two older guys check it down once the bet and raised me out. Sometimes I think my age or race generates a prejudice against me, other times I think it's the style of my play. But I've heard a lot of "as long as he doesn't win", "I'm rooting for you"(not said to me) and such things. Personally I'm against softplaying in general but I really think this sort of thing, while not necessarily crooked, really isn't right.