chips in his fanny pack

a few hands later he goes all in

w/the chips he has in front of him

when asked where the rest of the chips are

he shows where they are and says they are

not in play.....the floor is called

what is the decision?

02-10-2002, 02:53 AM
Tough one I think. I've never seen one like this before. Where I play, when the chip person announces "$500 on seat 6" the dealer repeats the statement. I think that seat 6 is then obligated to play $500.

But since several hands went by before there was an objection, and the player himself never said he was playing $500, and no one said anything when the brush brought over the $500 in chips and only $200 went on the table, if I were the floorman I'd say only the $200 played.

02-10-2002, 03:14 AM
From what you have described it was never confirmed with the player that the whole $500 would be in play, and since he immediately put $300 away, it seems to me that he should be declared all-in.

02-10-2002, 03:33 AM
I agree, he should be all in, especially considering the fact they would never have let him pull chips out of his bag to play during a hand.

02-10-2002, 06:41 AM
Consider the opposite. Let's say the guy had one chip left going in the turn, someone bets the turn, and now he wants to reload in mid-hand from the fanny pack and raise. Would the money have to play because it had been announced? (Hint: no.)

Brett, what I can't figure is why anyone would call the floor.

Tommy

02-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Based on the Brush's declaration, I think the $500 should have to stay in play. Otherwise, this would be an easy angle to shoot. If upon receiving the chips(and without ever playing a hand without any chips) he put $300 in his fanny pack, he should be required to go all in for the $200.

02-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Does it matter to anyone's analysis whether the player gave the brush 5 100 dollar bills or a 500 dollar bill?

02-11-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm a little curious why anyone would buy into a 20-40 game with as little as $200. Seems to me like the player is going to be running scared from the get-go. Just a thought.

02-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Yes. If he had pulled out a $500 bill, they would be calling the cops instead of the floorman.

02-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Roger that. I'm pretty sure that our highest circulating bill is the $100......

02-11-2002, 09:15 PM
I was at that table. The key point IMO was that the brush declared the player was 500 behind as he left to get the chips and The player did nothing when he heard this.

The floor ruled that this time only the 200 was in play, but in the future all players must declare how much is in play if it differs from what the brush annouces. Seemed like a good ruling to me, I don't think the guy was trying to get away with anything, where he played this was probably perfectly legal.

The most exciting part of the whole situation was the nasty argument that resulted between the guy calling the floor and another player that decided he knew what should happen. It was a wild, loose, crazy game, too bad I got killed...

02-15-2002, 06:48 PM
I've always wondered why people got upset when players removed chips from the table and continued to play. If someone wanted to keep $20 in front of themselves at all times and go all in pre-flop every hand, I'd have no problem with it. sure I don't want to see someone snake a pot away from me then put the chips behind their back, but that's for emotional reasons(I want my money back). I don't think it gives them any advantage to do so.

be interested to hear some expert opinions on this