PDA

View Full Version : I called 3 bets cold ....

Nottom
12-03-2003, 12:36 AM
it just can't be right ... can it?

Party 3/6

I'm on the button with 10-10.

3 limpers and LMP raises, CO 3-bets and now its 3 to me. I call, SB calls all-in for 8, BB folds, everyone calls.

7 to the flop for 3 bets each.

Flop is rag-9-J. MP bets, Preflopraiser1 calls, preflopraiser2 calls, I call, another calls.

Turn is a rag and i fold to a bet from MP.

ElSapo
12-03-2003, 12:44 AM
No, it's probably not right. But also probably not that wrong. I think you could fold this pre-flop or on the flop and be fine. I also think you may have the best hand.

Problem is, finding out you have the best hand is a lot of trouble.

My advice is to sigh and muck pre-flop.

Nottom
12-03-2003, 12:47 AM
I wanted to fold pre-flop I really did, but the whole table was in the pot along with a few that weren't at my table. I didn't want to cap and chase off all those nice limpers that seemed like they really wanted to call 2 more.

I figured I was beat but thought a set might pay off well. I called the flop only because I was getting 24-1 on my call.

sam h
12-03-2003, 04:32 AM
you might have the best hand, you have the button, its going to be at least six way action. i don't think you want to fold here. calling three cold is unusual and might not seem right. but all decisions are relative to game context. i mean, if its right to call two cold with a smaller pair in position in a pot that's shaping up to be multiway, then i'm not sure it becomes wrong to call three cold with a bigger pair that on some boards could win unimproved in the same circumstances.

slavic
12-03-2003, 04:37 AM
you know how AQ is good to raise with but not to call a raise with? Well TT is good to 3 bet with but not call a 3 bet.

Bob T.
12-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Nope, you should probably fold here.

crockpot
12-03-2003, 07:53 AM
do you really play in games where limpers never fold to a raise and three-bet behind them? if so, tell me where so i can get in on this. even in my loose games i would expect only one of the limpers to call, if any. i think a fold preflop is good here. remember that even if no overcards to the tens hit, you can still easily be up against at least one bigger pocket pair, and you must call him down all the way, giving the hand negative implied odds.

Joe Tall
12-03-2003, 08:22 AM
I think I'd even muck JJ here if either raise was resonable. Surely, I muck TT.

Peace,
JT

sam h
12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
well, the hand was party 3-6. i generally play higher these days, but when i was a regular in those games i would rarely see people put in money preflop and then fold for two more bets as long as the pot was shaping up to be multiway. maybe things have changed for the worse.

yeah, you could be up against a bigger pair and you'll do a lot of calling down when rags hit only to lose. but the button is a greater minimizer of damage and maximizer of profit in the hands of a skilled player, especially when you have optimal position vs the raisers to pressure the field for multiple bets. in these fish-infested waters you want to be getting involved in marginal situations when you have position, a good holding that will generally be pretty well defined after the flop, and the chance to win a huge pot.

bunky9590
12-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Say it ain't so.................!

sam h
12-03-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm in the minority on this one with the TT here and don't expect to convince you guys.

But just notice that this totalizing logic about AQ and TT completely neglects game context. There's a tendency on this board to find hard and fast rules, especially for preflop play (never call cold before the flop being the primary example), and stick to them like gospel. There's nothing inherently wrong with coldcalling two or even three bets in the right situation (position, crappy opponents, family pot, good holding that will be usually well-defined on the flop). It's just that those situations are few and far between and in general coldcalling is a sucker play.

Here is a quote from Mason in a similar thread on med/high stakes going on in the last couple days about whether or not to coldcall a raise with 55.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Ciaffone, what he is saying is better, but there are many situations where it is right to call for two bets with a pair of deuces. If you're getting multiway action and can anticipate action after the flop if you do make a set, and that will almost always be the case, you should play.

A rough rule of thumb is if you are getting or can anticipate 5-to-1 before the flop then go ahead and play. Furthermore, against players who you are sure will give plenty of action on the flop and beyond, you don't need immediate odds this good.

[/ QUOTE ]