PDA

View Full Version : a change

Ray Zee
12-02-2003, 11:46 PM
one of my criteria for buying a stock is seeing a change. well i think i see one starting in EK-- eastman kodak. it has been on a long downhill but i believe the company is making the turn. i havent bought any yet as it has a p/e of 19 and may still be too high. but with the change that may or will change. this is not a tout to buy the stock. but a call to start your research. i may not even buy myself. the company is a 6 billion dollar one so it doesnt hurt to put out the watch list before i buy. i look forward to feedback

Cazz
12-03-2003, 05:27 AM
I owned this one for a while. It was a small/medium loser for me. The glaring weakness to their business right now is that a large chunk of their money comes from film, which appears to be a dying (or at least declining) business.
When I held it, it seems like it was paying a large dividend (like 6 percent yield). When they cut the div. I sold out.

hillbilly
12-04-2003, 08:52 AM
sorry uncle ray, but that dog wont hunt...

creedofhubris
12-08-2003, 10:13 AM
I live in Rochester, Kodak's headquarters, and when I was growing up, my uncle and my aunt both worked there. Well, they both got laid off over the years as Kodak slowly eliminated most of its workforce in the Rochester area.

Here in Rochester, we're down on Kodak. Through repeated rounds of layoffs, they have forfeited the goodwill that founder George Eastman gained through his philanthropy (the school where I teach was endowed by Eastman, as well as the orchestra and the art museum, among others.) When the company is in the local news, it's for yet another new CEO, or for another bout of layoffs, or some sort of pollution. Their new business plan did receive quite a lot of skeptical attention, but other companies are doing digital photography better.

I am not claiming to be an expert, but I personally would not invest in Kodak.

scalf
12-08-2003, 08:43 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif..how many icehouses became major dealers of refrigerators??

ans.

none

AceHigh
12-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Good point, these companies are almost always too driven by profit motive to change until the future is obvious and at that point it is too late.

Ray Zee
12-09-2003, 03:17 AM
all true. but big companies have tremendous goodwill behind them. and if they can change you get a wallop of bang for your bucks. but you must identify the change for the better here if there is one. its early on in the game but it bears watching.
after reading the comments on how everyone is down on kodak i will watch it more carefully as it has probably made a bottom. when no one wants it that means it has bottomed out. and up it the way to go. whether they can sustain it thru the future is what determines the genius from the idiot. i have been both.

Horrible Player
12-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Technically, this stock is still in trouble. It keeps hitting new lows with volume. This stock looks to be setting up for another downturn. A price projection of ~15. I learned to use a Fibonachi expand/contract theory for the basis of the price projection. I would let it base out for a while. My advise would be to wait until it goes up with volume and have pull backs on lighter volume.

adios
12-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Not one positive comment on EK and it's future. That means you ought to be buying it with both fists /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Haven't had a chance to take a close look at their new strategy. Financially it looks fine.

Ray Zee
12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
that would mean i would be buying based on what the public is buying, rather than on what looks like their marketplace results are. not good. i believe price will be set by earnings not by past fluctuations in the buying patterns of people with more money than brains.

as a rule i dont believe in techical valuations based on price movements. unless its by insiders.

Horrible Player
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
I believe you need both: Fundementals and Technical analysis. Price of a stock is driven by supply and demand. How can a stock move up if less shares are traded? Typically it is done by operators in a stock. I still feel this stock has a price projection of 15. The key point is 20.39. The stock will have to make it though this point on more than 22 M shares. If it does then the projection to 15 should hold true. If it takes it out on less volume (<10%) then it would be a good price to buy into and a stop placement would be on the other side of 20.93.

A good stock to look for a short is AKAM. Since it broke out at 8/share, the stock has been extended on lighter and lighter volume. It finally broke. This stock is starting its run to the breakout area of 8. This analysis is done solely on technicals.

Check out some Gold stocks. The gold market is a bull run after a 22 bear market. Look at the volumes of the miners. It is incredible!