PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Poker

BradleyT
12-02-2003, 10:04 PM
On Bravo channel right now. Phil Gordon commenting.

Cubswin
12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Why did they have to schedule this thing at the same time as the IL/UNC game...UGH

Jeffro
12-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Not missing a lot

Vehn
12-02-2003, 10:58 PM
ughhhhhhhhhh

brutal.

Schneids
12-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Hahah I almost feel sorry for Affleck, he was clearly the best player there.

Oh my, it was brutal though. So poorly played it was laughable.

Nottom
12-02-2003, 11:09 PM
I was expecting more out of Affleck, honestly except for the Q8 call I didn't think Willie played all that horribly although the cards were certainly in his favor.

Mackenzie
12-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Could they possibly have produced this any cheaper? They make poker look like the kitschiest game you've ever seen. They could have made Grandmas playing Mahjongg more interesting.

Easy E
12-02-2003, 11:39 PM
My expectations going in were that this would not be serious poker; I hoped it would be entertaining and funny.

I liked the opening animation graphics. My expectation of the poker play went down considerably when I found out that they were playing for charity and evidently it was a one-table tournament. Found out later, after a lot of BAD poker, that the winner moves on to the finals.

Kevin Pollack has gained weight! Time for South Beach, KP. The Christopher Walken imitation was pretty good and was amusing.

Only 5 players? Seems small. Not that they’ll probably know how to adjust strategy… maybe Affleck will.

Phil Gordon is the cohost? He seemed really stiff, at least at the beginning. Order some drinks from the requisite eye candy cocktail waitress, Tiltboy! Any Palms regulars- is that the standard waitress outfit? Seems to fit their image.

Not sure about the Dating Game announcers’ desk… and the Losers Lounge LOOKS like one (bad Carson show takeoff?)

Commercial for the West Wing episode looks entertaining- is that a takeoff on Humberto?!
I was glad to see Phil announcing chip counts after the break. It was also nice to only see commercials every FIFTEEN minutes! WPT, ESPN- another note for the file!

Our “first” hand (no idea what hand it actually was). AQoff, K9d, ATd . Emily, you can’t just call here and leave Don in. Fold to the raise or reraise!

I like the simple graphics. I also like how the folded hand slides away from the displayed column.

Don Cheadale was underbetting pots a lot, IMO. The audience was pretty enthusiastic and loud- let’s see THAT fly at a “real” poker table!

David Schwimmer- seemed like he was thinking like a limit poker player with many of his bad calls.

Don really likes those baby suited hands, and will raise with them. He needs to be careful (though the poker gods were looking out for him early on!)
`
Ben Afflick seems like the best poker player of the bunch, or at least the one with some big-bet experience. It’s too bad the players weren’t playing with their OWN money, for REAL money. The show might have been less of a farce.

Phil Gordon was making some half-decent comments as the poker “expert” of the announcing team.

You knew it was coming, but I don’t like the post-loss talk-show portions of the show.

Kevin Pollack wasn’t as funny as I expected. The Captain Kirk attempt was lame and his jokes weren’t that funny. His poker knowledge wasn’t too impressive, at least as an announcer. His “the flop helps no one” comment when the T95 flops on one hand, when it gave Willie the gutshot straight draw, was poor.

Did Don just call with A7c in order to suck Willie into putting him all-in? Or would that be too sophisticated a read?

In general, between the play, Willie and Don’s luck and the lack of valid strategy references by Kevin should breed some more poor poker players in the cardrooms.

Is “Prince of Darkness” the same thing as River Rat M-F? And Willie’s “strategy” of alternating loose and tight play only means something if you aren’t overly loose ALL of the hands that we saw!

Ahh, the Bravo version of the “2 minutes to go hand” rule. Goodbye Ben.

In summary, the show was not that entertaining, though they tried occasionally, and the poker was pretty poor. Hopefully episode #2 will be better (or at least more entertaining).

youtalkfunny
12-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Who lasted longer, Affleck or Cheadle? Any bad-beat stories involved with this bet?

My local cable company was supposed to add Bravo to the lineup tonight, but they f***ed it up, and I'm in the dark.

wayabvpar
12-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Affleck outlasted Cheadle...Willie Garson knocked everyone out. I would be scared to play a pot against him the way he was sucking out...wow.

kingstalker
12-03-2003, 04:10 AM
I dont get why Affleck rasied 7000 with Q-2 and 10,000 with A-2, Wille was so bad that Affleck could of waited till he had a real hand and then wille would of probably paid it off

tpir90036
12-03-2003, 04:39 AM
i think he either:

a) wanted to get out of there so he could go smoke a cigarette (he was sporting a nice pack of marlboro lights at the end)

b) got a call from j-lo that he needed to be back in the hotel room in the next 10 minutes "or else"

c) was frustrated and tilting just a little

Ted Geisel
12-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Did you really make a bet on an event taped weeks ago, with known results to which an astute person could have access ?

Do you also bet on Hockey game replays and last year's Super Bowl or WSOP ? (I'll take a longshot named Moneymaker, you take Hellmuth AND Chan, but give me odds, okay ?)

Ted Geisel
12-03-2003, 05:25 AM
... maybe, it wasn't really his money at stake ? Remember, this was "for charity".

Ted Geisel
12-03-2003, 05:28 AM
They were going to wait for the Cubs' next World Series appearance. (I understand that there was Celebrity Poker footage in storage featuring Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, but the decision was made to film/tape a new one for this eventual broadcast.)

Easy E
12-03-2003, 08:12 AM
who took the LOSING side of a prop bet that was taped and blah blah blah....

Shouldn't you be CONGRADULATING the man?

daryn
12-03-2003, 09:41 AM
shouldn't you be spelling congratulating correctly?

Homer
12-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Shouldn't you be using capital letters?

Who gives a [censored]?

-- Homer

Ted Geisel
12-03-2003, 11:19 AM
LOL, you are right. I apologize, I did not even consider who was the winning side, I just found it incredulous someone would bet on an event which was over weeks ago with public results.

I still want to place the 2003 WSOP bet, I won't ask for odds this time.

Ted

daryn
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
indeed, who?

thylacine
12-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Bad poker is more entertaining than any basketball, period.

Easy E
12-03-2003, 12:11 PM
when it's capitalized, it's ALWAYS spelled with a "D". Trust me, it's a rule- just ask ADAM THE EXPERT.

colgin
12-03-2003, 12:39 PM

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah, like I'm going to watch this instead of 24.

pudley4
12-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Also, they replay the poker show 2 hrs later (11pm EST)

stantheman
12-03-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm sure Bravo is thrilled that America's Sweetheart Affleck busted out and The Gay Bald Glasses Guy from Sex and the City (whose celeb friends even seemed to hate) is advancing to the finals. Should do wonders for the rating.

Not that Gordon's thrilling commentary is helping any either. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ulysses
12-03-2003, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, like I'm going to watch this instead of 24.

[/ QUOTE ]

(My West Coast cable feed version of this post)

Yeah, like I'm going to watch this instead of The Simple Life featuring Paris Hilton.

BigRed1
12-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Don't worry, as long as you get BRAVO sometime this week you can see it. It is on several times...

deathtoau
12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Yeah I agree, with all them taking about how much they play and how good they are in their home games I have got to find a way yo get onto a table with anyone of them. Fish at the Taj don't play as bad as they did.

youtalkfunny
12-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Yes, we bet on a taped event.

We bet $1. I made the matchup (pick'em), and he picked Cheadle.

If he HAD known the winner, and had scammed me out of a dollar, SO WHAT?

And guess what? I'm quite sure that I'll give him a chance to get even next week.

BradleyT
12-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Same episode is on Bravo again if you missed it or want to watch it again.

baggins
12-07-2003, 07:37 AM
or if you want to bet on it again...

Simon Diamond
12-10-2003, 10:53 PM
One word for this show: "Unwatchable" N/M

I like your style colgin /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon