PDA

View Full Version : "Keep raising and I promise I will fold at the end."

all_aces
12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,

I posted this in the Internet section, so I apologize if you have already seen this. It didn't really fit with what the internet posters normally discuss though so I thought I'd post it here for your viewing pleasure.

OK. Pretty hilarious story I think, but it's long.

I sat down to play my usual game, 25-50 shorthanded online. I knew 3 of the players, the 4th I'd never seen before. He had about $1000, which is more than most first-timers bring to these games. It's usually either the minimum of $250 (a good way to lose $250) or the only slightly more reasonable $500.

Through the chat, I learn a few things about him. He's Russian, his connection sucks, and he's kind of drunk on vodka. He hates Americans, and likes Canadians. I'm Canadian, but I don't care what he thinks of me, I just want him to play faster. His English is limited and broken, and pretty hilarious. He says things like "You are a stuped". Which people would normally find offensive, but in some kind of immature way it was hilarious.

So we're all having a good time, except it's so slow. Kind of like this post so far. Then this guy (I'll call him Teddy KGB) says he wants to have fun, and if we bet he will raise and then fold at the end and give us his money. Now, this is possible, because at this site there doesn't have to be a bet to you in order to fold. You can act first, and press the fold button, and just fold right then and there instead of checking.

But none of us believe him. But then he does just what he said he'd do, twice, with 2 people who aren't me. He keeps betting, they keep calling (not raising--nobody really knows what to think at this point) and then on the river, he's first to act, and he just folds and gives them the pot.

I like it.

So he's lost a bit by now, he's down to like $400 or something. Folded to him in SB, I'm in BB. He's just played those two hands where he folded at the end. I have rags. He raises, and encourages me to reraise the whole way, because he wants to give me his money. He says he will fold at the end.

I ask him why he's doing this, and he says he has a lot of money in Russia. OK. Since I just saw him do this twice, I'll trust him. So we cap preflop, we cap the flop. I have absolutely nothing. We get to the turn, and we cap that too. He now has $37 left. The river card comes.

And instead of folding, he bets his last $37. Then he says: "I have a J and a 3" which translates to 2 pair. I call his all-in bet with nothing because I'm stunned, and he takes it down.

I don't get mad. I just ask him why he didn't fold. He tells me he would have folded if I'd raised the river. I tell him he was all-in, and that it's impossible to fold when you're all-in regardless of whether or not your opponent raises you. He says he didn't know that. I tell him I want my money back. I don't care about taking his money, I just want my part of that pot back.

He says OK. And then he starts losing it to the other players at the table. I tell him "Whoa". Don't lose it to them before you pay me back. Finally we get heads-up again. He raises UTG and I 3 bet from MP with A6o to isolate him. We cap preflop. I say that this is his chance to pay me back, we need to cap the turn, and then he needs to fold when I tell him to. He says "I have Ks Th". OK.

Flop is AA2. He bets, I raise, he calls. I tell him to get squared up we need to cap the turn. Turn is another 2. We cap the turn. River is a 5. He bets, I tell him we're even now, and when I raise, he needs to fold. He says "I have Ks Th" again. I don't know what the hell that means. Anyways, he bets, I raise.

And instead of folding, he calls. Of course I take it down with my aces full, but he called with his 2 pr king kicker instead of folding. I'm dumbfounded. Maybe I am a stuped. Maybe I'm being suckered here. I say to him "Dude, you were supposed to fold. What if I had 72o or something?" He says "I told you what I had".

Suffice it to say that the rest of the table finds our exchanges hilarious. He has like $120 left now, he loses it quickly and says "You guys want I should buy $1000?". The chat box fills up with various statements like: "Yes" and "Rebuy" and "Make it $3000". He says OK, tells us what his new username will be, and leaves.

I wrote down the new username. I haven't seen him since.

DVO
12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Great story.

George Rice
12-02-2003, 08:57 PM
There's always the possibility that the others players were working with him and just pasing money back and forth, trying to get you to join in so they could take your cash. How well do you know these other players?

all_aces
12-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey George,

I know two of the other players quite well. One of these two I know well enough that he would definitely tell me if something like this was going on. I found it hard to believe as well, but I'm pretty sure this guy just wanted to give us his money, and he got a bit confused about how to do it. I'm going to call it a coincedence that both times he got confused happened to be in hands with me.

andyfox
12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Great story, well told.

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.