PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds?

02-09-2002, 02:57 AM
Can someone please explain how to determine if/when the pot is giving you correct odds to play. I know the basics but sometimes I'm not sure how to best determine if it correct to call, particularly on the turn. Do you count the total number of bets in the pot not including your own? Do you include your own when calculating. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

02-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Once your money is in there, it is part of the pot. You do not calculate the money you have put in so far, only what the pot is laying at the time of your call or raise. On the flop, the number of players is the odds you are getting to call and anymore calls before the action gets to you increases the odds. For example, if there are 5 players in before the flop and you are on the button. UTG bets and everyone calls to you, you are getting 9-1 on your call(9 sb's to your 1 sb). UTG bets, call, call, raise, you are getting 5-1 odds if you call the raise(10 sb's to your 2 sb's) On the turn and river, you can either calculate the bets as 2 small or the bets in there from the flop as 1/2 a big bet. Just count your outs, and make sure the pot is laying you enough odds to draw to your hand.

02-09-2002, 07:19 PM
that was extremely helpful.

02-09-2002, 07:41 PM
so say 5 players see the flop for 2 bets...you are on the button, and there is a bet and 3 calls to you, does that mean you are getting 14:1 to call since there has been 14 bets put in the flop?

02-10-2002, 09:15 AM

02-10-2002, 09:22 AM
assuming it's after the flop, you now compare that 14 to 1 to your "drawing odds"

when drawing odds are bigger than pot odds, you may not want to call

02-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Do you kow how many outs you have to make your hand at anytime?

for example: You hold QTs(let's say hearts)

Flop- Kd Jh 2h

You have an open ended straight draw and flush draw. You have exactly 15 outs to make your hand. 9 unseen hearts and 3 9's and 3 A's. You do not have 4 9's or A's because one of them will be a heart giving you a flush. There are 47 unseen cards in the deck. 15 of those make your hand.

47/15= 3.13. This means that 1 in every 3.13 cards will make your hand. Your drawing odds are now 2.13 to 1( round it down to 2 to 1 to make it easier) All the pot has to be laying you is 2 to 1 odds to draw to this hand. And since you know how to calculate pot odds now, this should be a little easier for you.

Good Luck!

Travis

02-11-2002, 03:15 AM
Thanks Travis, but can you tell me why you can round it down from 3.13:1 to 2:1?

02-12-2002, 08:27 PM
I'm not Travis, so hope you don't mind my answering.

The 3.13 was the total. You take the total less 1 to 1 to state it in something to 1 terms. For example, if there are 45 cards out and you have 15 ways to hit, then you have a one in three chance of hitting. 1 in 3 = 2 to 1 odds. 1 in 3.13 = 2.13 to 1 odds, or rounding 2 to 1.

Adding one more thing. You also want to take into account what will happen after you. For example, say you're in a game with little raising. There are say 5 small bets in the pot. Someone bets. You're second to act. You're pretty sure everyone else will just call if you bet. Then you can figure you're putting in 1 bet to get the 9 bets (not including yours) that will be in the pot when everyone else calls. So even though there's only 6 SB (small bets) in the pot when it's your turn to act, if (big if) you can be sure everyone after you will just call, then you're odds are better than they may appear.

02-12-2002, 10:36 PM
Thanks tewall, that was very helpful!