PDA

View Full Version : Starting hands from SB

GoSox
12-02-2003, 02:02 PM
When I started at Party .5/1 I called just about anything from the SB with only limpers. That seems to be what everyone else does on Party at this limit (I know that's not saying much) Lately I've tightened up to small pairs, connectors, J-9. But looking at poker tracker I'm still playing too much and should probably start with Q10o and 77.

What do you advise as the minimum starting hands ?? And what do you really use in practice ??

thank you

LetsRock
12-02-2003, 02:17 PM
(you'll get more replies to this in the micro-limit forum)

I tend to play the SB a little looser than the book calls for. I don't play "any 2 cards" but I consider the SB to be a "good value" bet (half-price) to get a peek at some lower (T9,98) suited connectors and other coordinated cards (K9, QT types) that I wouldn't normally play form other positions. This is especially true if there are a lot of callers. I'm a more selective if there's been a raise. (Fishing is one thing, but the bait better be cheap!)

Besides the "bargain" factor, I justify it with a "defending the blind" thought.

Most books will tell you that the poor position will out-weigh the "bargain" factor of the small blind. I don't disagree in total, but playing lesser hands here helps to make it look like I'm mixing up my play a little with little investment.

The key with these is NOT getting attached. If you just get a little piece of the flop, you need to be ready to toss 'em if someone starts putting on the heat.

I'll probably get hammered for my approach, but it's my approach and until I see that it's a problem I'm sticking to it.

Nottom
12-02-2003, 02:20 PM
In an unraised pot with a normal (somewhat passive) BB and the standard SB=1/2BB I will play these hands.

any pair
Ax
Kxs
Qxs
any 2 broadway cards
any suited connector or 1 gapper with top card > 4
suited two gappers 96s or bigger
unsuited connectors 67 or bigger
onegappers T8 or bigger

If there are a lot of limpers I will play any 2 suited (yes, even 72s).