PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a set, capped the flop and everybody keeps coming!

Barry
12-02-2003, 01:44 PM
5/10 Party - Decent but not great table, LAG/borderline maniac sitting to my immediate right (MTMR) in the CO. UTG is generally a weak player.

I’m on the button w/ 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG, MP, MTMR limps, I limp, SB completes, BB check (6 SB)

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to UTG who bets, MP and MTMR call, I raise, blinds fold, UTG calls, MTMR now makes it 3 bets, I cap, UTG calls 2 more, MTMR calls (19 SB)

Turn is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets again, MTMR raises again, action to me. (11 BB)

Do I put the maniac on 45 here and call praying for the board to pair or do I pop it again? What the heck does UTG have to bet into the 2 of us?

Homer
12-02-2003, 02:08 PM
I don't think you have to worry about the weak UTG. The only hands that beat you are AA, JJ and 45. Weak players don't bet out on an Axx flop into a large field with JJ, they don't limp preflop with 45, and they usually don't limp preflop with AA (since weak players tend to play in a straightforward manner). The LAG could have a number of hands other than 45, including A2, A3, AJ, J2s, J3s, 32s, 22, A4, A5, Axs (spades, that is), etc. So, I'd pop it again and I don't think it's a close decision.

-- Homer

lil'
12-02-2003, 02:14 PM
I think I would instinctively raise without thinking too much about it, and worry about the results afterwards. This gets me into trouble sometimes...

Joe Tall
12-02-2003, 02:15 PM
I think you've got a 3-bet here and have MTMR's A2 or 22 beat.

Peace,
JT

LetsRock
12-02-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm with the grain on this one. Got to keep pushing, I put him on a A2 or A3 (maybe even 23? - i've seen stranger things)

If he does have the 45, you still have some outs and you'd just have to chalk it up to a bad-beat and make a note on him for next time.

Louie Landale
12-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Boarderline maniacs can find LOTS of non-nut hands to keep raising with. Your main consern is UTG. Reasonable UTGs don't play 45 UTG, and unreasonable ones can find lots of two pair hands to bet with. Its no disaster to cap it against a straight. The only disasters here are [1] UTG has trip Aces and you have 1 out [2] UTG has a straight and L/BMSTMIR has Aces and Jacks and you have 4 outs.

- Louie

Bob T.
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Raise one more time. There are still more hands that you are ahead of, than you are behind, and if you are behind, except to AA or JJ, you have plenty of outs.

Barry
12-02-2003, 05:22 PM
I certainly agreed with the consensus here. I put UTG on an A, and then AJ when he bet the turn, my thought was also that MTMR had something like A2.

So I popped it again. UTG again cold calls 2 and then MTMR caps the turn! Now 23 BB.

OK, now I have to give him credit for 45.

The river is the 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, which is no help to me. UTG and I call MTMR's river bet.

MTMR shows 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the flopped nuts. UTG shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for TP lousy kicker.

That's the problem with maniacs; we always pay them off big time when they have a hand!

MTMR takes down the 26 BB pot and leaves 1 orbit later. UTG busts outs a few orbits later and I lick my wounds and leave the game 1/2 later when I start to to lose my battle against the tilt monster.