PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Deals

gunboat
12-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Has anyone made a deal at the final table of an on-line tournament? If so, how did you go about it?

Cubswin
12-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Skalanskys Tourny Poker for advanced players goes into this in deal. Im too busy to describe it now /images/graemlins/grin.gif but if someone doesnt answer it ill post back later,

regards
cubs

GrinningBuddha
12-01-2003, 10:04 PM
I think he was referring to the process, rather than the concept.

I believe PokerStars allows you to PM a site rep, and they'll split up the prizes appropriately. I don't know of any site that has an automatic deal-maker, at most sites you're on your own to live up to your word...

Packerfan1
12-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Like Homer said, most places you're on your own and its a virtual handshake. Better read the tournament rules also, some places (Party) they claim to outlaw deals. Of course you also risk some faceless person screwing you.

Last week at GC we were down to 3 players in the $7K tourney, all about even in chips with the blinds at some ridiculous level. I proposed an even chop of $1435 each. Here was the basic conversation after that..

Some Railbird: Who holds the money?
Me: I do, Im trustworthy, Im from Wisconsin. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Other Player #1: Fine by me.
Other Player #2: Fine be me too.
Done.

We pumped the pots then the other 2 players folded till it was done. I told them to email me, made a Neteller xfer to one guy 15 minutes later and shipped the other guy $500-some at a one-on-one NL table. Not 1 hour after we were all square.

I've done it three times now online. I always control the money, so it has always worked out. Hope that helps...

For what I think is an amazing, feel-good story about my first internet tourney deal, read the followup post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pack

plj8624
12-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi, I'm the "Some railbird" that Packer mentioned and I finished 4th in said tournament when Mr. PackerFan cruelly eliminated me with 6 A while I was holding J J /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In general, I wouldn't trust anyone online to send me money but since it was a 2+2er and a Wisconsinite I actually would have trusted him lol. If its people I don't know at all I would only do a split with the online poker manager handling it.

Packerfan1
12-02-2003, 02:07 AM
I posted this not long after it happened in 2002, but I figure the newer 2+2ers might like to hear it... so...

It was Summer 2002 and Pokerstars was hosting the very first WCOOP (World Championship of Online Poker). The first event was a $100 buy-in $25K guarantee tourney.

I was lucky enough to win a seat in a $10 satellite tourney, then I ran into a conflict with my business where I couldn't play. Three days before the event I'm playing at True and a decent player that I've played against and had Packers/Browns conversations with named "Go Browns" sits down. I've been hoping to run into him all week.

I make him an offer no reasonable person could refuse. He plays the seat for nothing, if he wins anything we split it 50/50. I figure 10th will be a couple hundred $ so I say that if he takes 9th or better that he comes up from Ohio and we go to Lambeau for the Browns-Packers preseason game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif , ya, that'll happen.

Now remember this is before the whole WPT tournament madness thing happened. This was when a big tournament at Party was 190 people. Got it? Before poker insanity hit.

Which is why it was a huge deal that 630-odd people entered this thing. Payed 50 places, first place was over $20K.

Tournament started at 1PM, I had to leave around 5:30PM. So I watched him and cheered him on.

When I had to leave there were 80 people left. He was one of them. I showed my wife how to follow his progress and I headed off to business...

When I got home late that night, my wife was sleeping on the couch. "Well, how'd he do?". She pointed to a slip of paper on the table. It said...

2nd place: $9,847. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

HOLY SH*T

Now, I could have a problem.

I send the fastest email I've ever written to this person, this total stranger who I've never met, who now holds 1/2 of my son's pending middle school tuition bill in his pokerstars account.

I dread that the email will be undeliverable.

The reply takes forever...but it does come.

3 days later the money is in my Neteller account.

"GB" turns out to be a young (under 25 for sure) law student, a fairly broke one at that. Certainly a guy who could have used the entire $10K in his pocket. Fortunately for me, GB has more character than he has money.

A man like that deserves to see his Cleveland Browns at Lambeau Field... and we did. Been to Vegas together too now. He posted here until recently, was playing 6 15/30 games at one point, cleaning up the games at Party before he re-re-retired from poker /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, when someone asks me if I trust internet poker, they usually get to hear that story. I hope you get to tell a good story like that too in your online poker career. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rusty JEDI
12-02-2003, 02:53 AM
]"GB" turns out to be a young (under 25 for sure) law student, a fairly broke one at that. Certainly a guy who could have used the entire $10K in his pocket. Fortunately for me, GB has more character than he has money.

A man like that deserves to see his Cleveland Browns at Lambeau Field... and we did. Been to Vegas together too now. He posted here until recently, was playing 6 15/30 games at one point, cleaning up the games at Party before he re-re-retired from poker

Sounds like Lebronmania to me.

Cyndie
12-02-2003, 05:43 AM
and for a long time I thought that deals were the way to go...especially for cardrooms to get players back into another raked game or a new tourney faster...

But Mike Sexton pointed out that for Major Tournament to ever get sposnorship... deals would be a bad thing.

HavanaBanana
12-02-2003, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and shipped the other guy $500-some at a one-on-one NL table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Be *very* careful in doing that, countless accounts have been closed due to chipdumping. (even if you had a valid reason to do so, it is hard for the cardrooms to distinguise between that and colluders sharing profit, or CC criminals cleaning money.)

I did a 500$ deal/save at pokerstars once, from 1st to 3rd 2nd remainding the same, I won it but didnt mind the 500 too much cause it was a good deal when I made it /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Stars handled the transfer immediate after tourney was over and was in the room accepting the deal while we were agreeing upon it.

As long as a deal is agreed on by all players left in tourney I do not see anything wrong with it.