PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best team in the NFL?

B-Man
12-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Who is the best team in the NFL?

My pick is the New England Patriots. Here’s why:

1. They are 10-2 (second-best record in the league) and have won 8 games in a row. They have beaten all of the other top teams in the AFC, except KC, whom they have not played.

2. They are 6-0 against teams with winning records (@Philly, Tenn, @ Denver, @ Miami, Dallas, @Indianapolis) . Contrast that with KC, which has played a creampuff schedule and is only 2-1 against teams with winning records (they beat Baltimore and Denver, lost to Cinc.), and should be 1-2, as they should have lost to Denver. Denver gets another shot at them this Sunday, this time in Denver.

3. The Patriots won most of their games while they were decimated with injuries, but the last few weeks have started to get some of their players back, most notably Ted Washington and Ted Johnson. Ted Washington makes a HUGE (literally) difference in their run defense, which has been noticeably better the last couple of weeks.

4. They have the best coach, Bill Belichick, and a QB who is as cool under pressure as any QB I have ever seen (7-0 career record in overtime, best winning percentage of any active QB with at least 20 starts, and, oh yeah, there was that game-winning drive in Super Bowl XXXVI).

We’ll know the answer to my question on February 1, but both my brain and my heart tell me the answer is the New England Patriots.

adios
12-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Hard to argue with your reasons. Pats are playing very well.

Clarkmeister
12-01-2003, 10:59 PM
There isn't a best team.

So much in the playoffs depends on home field and matchups. The Rams may or may not be the best team in the NFC, but with their remaining schedule, they are all but a lock to have home field. They are very susceptible to a team that has a big time pass rush and they have had trouble handling the blitz all year, but home field for this team is a huge advantage.

In the AFC, I think its wide open. KC, NE, TEN and BAL all look like they have a big shot at going to the Super Bowl. KC is by far the most balanced of the teams mentioned, but if they stumble (and that's certainly possible) I don't like their chances on the road at (for example) Tennessee. The Ravens can win on the road in the playoffs and their recent offensive life makes them very dangerous. NE is good for all the reasons you listed. But no team is absolutely "best" because they are all so close. Home field makes every one of those 4 AFC teams I listed the favorite over any of the others. Who comes out of it is anyones guess.

Munga30
12-01-2003, 11:52 PM
KC is "by far the most balanced"???

Their offense is excellent and their special teams is (has been?) superlative, but have you seen their defense? The one currently ranked 26th in YPG allowed and the second worst "playoff team" in time of possession against?

This statement stands out in an otherwise reasonable post.

Dynasty
12-02-2003, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So much in the playoffs depends on home field and matchups.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Patriots got a big boost tonight when the Jets beat the Titans on MNF. The AFC standings are now Chiefs 11-1, Patriots 10-2, Colts, 9-3, Titans 9-3. The top two teams get a first round bye and home field advantage in the conference semi-finals. Since the Patriots have already beaten the Colts and Titans heads-up, they are positioned very well to get that first round bye. A 3-1 record over their final four games gets it. 2-2 will probably be good enough.

adios
12-02-2003, 03:01 AM
"So much in the playoffs depends on home field and matchups."

Maybe it's a new trend but the last 3 Super Bowl winners did not have the top seed in their conference and won their conference championships on the road.

Josh W
12-02-2003, 05:16 AM
My vote would go to the Titans...but it mostly goes with Clark...

It's sorta like saying what's best...rock, paper, or scissors. The NFL is all about matchups, with an additional emphasis on home field.

The Colts, for example, are almost guaranteed to lose their first playoff road game. They are just a much weaker team away from the RCA dome. And I'm a huge Colts fan (here's hoping Irsay moves them to LA!!).

My choice, the Titans, have a few things going for them. They have the second-best coach in the AFC, if not the NFL (Belicheck gets my vote for #1), the best player in the NFL in McNair, they stop the run better than anybody, and they have a huge number of weapons on offense. Their receivers don't seem to stand out, because of the incredible balance 4 and 5 deep (3 or 4 receivers, 2 or 3 tightends).

Yes, they lost to New England, but that was back when they figured that the key to success was Eddie George. And, yes, they lost tonight, with a gimpy McNair.

However, just cuz I think they are most likely doesn't mean I think they can beat every team every week. I just think that with their coaches, McNair, experience, and ability to win on the road, they are going to be the team to beat in the AFC.

Josh

elwoodblues
12-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Easier to say who isn't the best...The Bears.

B-Man
12-02-2003, 10:41 AM
As a Patriots fan, the Titans are the team I fear the most. Needless to say, I was VERY happy to see the Jets beat Tenn. last night, because now the Patriots are almost guaranteed to have a bye in the first round of the playoffs, and homefield advantage against everyone but K.C. (and catching K.C. is still quite possible).

I think if the Patriots had to travel to Tenn. in the playoffs, it would be a major problem. But since any rematch between these two would almost certainly be in Foxboro, I think the Patriots would handle them again.

The Patriots are going to the Super Bowl. And they are going to win it for the second time in three year.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-02-2003, 11:32 AM
All they need is a punter who can kick the ball more than 18 yards.

B-Man
12-02-2003, 11:38 AM
I am surprised Belichick has not corrected this obvious weakness. It's not for lack of trying, as they have had free agents in for tryouts every week. I'm amazed they can't find somebody better... but I suspect Walther's days as the Pats' punter are numbered. I can't see them going into the playoffs with this guy, there has GOT to be some ex-college kicker hanging around that can do a better job.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Talk on the radio today was about Noel Prefontaine, the Toronto Argos punter, who averaged over 47 this season. He also was the #1 college punter in the nation when he was at San Diego State in the early 90's.

B-Man
12-02-2003, 03:34 PM
I heard a little talk about him (I assume it was him) on D&C this morning, but they failed to get into any detail.

Is he under contract to the Argonauts? If so, when does it expire? Bottom line--is this player actually available to be signed by an NFL team?

daryn
12-02-2003, 03:50 PM
yeah what's up with that? we really gave him a hard time where i watched the game. just before that 18 yard punt my friend says "here comes the 20 yard punt".. who knew he was giving the kicker too much credit. later he mentioned that he could probably kick the ball more than 18 yards with the side of his foot, hackey sack style.

almost anyone can kick better than this guy.. what's the deal?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Since you and I heard about him from the same source, I can't add anything.

B-Man
12-02-2003, 05:54 PM
From patriots.com:

The Patriots released punter Ken Walter on Tuesday. The team made no further announcement regarding a replacement for the struggling punter. Check back with Patriots.com for further information.

CCass
12-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Let me start by saying that I am a Titans Season Ticket holder. With that out of the way, I think the Patriots are playing better than anyone else right now, but a lot can change in the next 4 weeks.

I would much rather have a playoff game at KC than at NE.

Just my $.02 worth.

Go Titans!!!

lil'
12-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Interesting that very few actually pick K.C. as the best team, even though they have the best record. I don't think they are the best either. Defense will (almost) always win over offense. Also, there have been several years where the Chiefs have had the best record in football and totally flopped in the postseason.

The Pats Fins game should be a good one. Two AFC East teams at the top of their game playing against each other.

Clarkmeister
12-03-2003, 01:25 PM
"Interesting that very few actually pick K.C. as the best team, even though they have the best record. I don't think they are the best either. Defense will (almost) always win over offense. Also, there have been several years where the Chiefs have had the best record in football and totally flopped in the postseason.

The Pats Fins game should be a good one. Two AFC East teams at the top of their game playing against each other. "

The Chiefs D is the #8 scoring defense, the #13 pass defense and the #26 rush defense.

More importantly they are #2 in takeaways, and their team is by far #1 in TO margin at +19. The next closest team is only +12.

Considering their primary opposition in the AFC is Tennessee and New England, their rush D really shouldn't hurt them since both of those teams completely lack any sort of consistent running attack. Their pass D is excellent and makes big plays. I think you are all underrating them to think they will be a walkover. Vermiel is a way better coach than Schottenheimer was and this team isn't nearly as one-dimentional as those old Chiefs teams were. Their biggest worry is matching up against Baltimore. But then again, I don't think anyone really wants to play Baltimore.

I still think any of those 4 (Ten, KC, NE, Bal) can emerge from the AFC.

As far as the Dolphins, they stink. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

B-Man
12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
I don't think anyone said KC would be a "walkover," I (and the others) just don't think they are the best team. They have played a ridiculously easy schedule, and they haven't proven to me that they are better than N.E. or Tenn., despite their record.

Agreed that any of those 4 teams could make it to the Super Bowl. But my prediction is that the Patriots are the team that will go to the Super Bowl (and win it).

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-03-2003, 01:58 PM
As far as the Dolphins, they stink.

They certainly rank dead last at the Head Coach position. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rube
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
If Kansas City gets homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, they'll be real hard to beat.

letsplayone
12-04-2003, 02:06 AM
I stand by my preseason Superbowl bets!!!
AFC winner - New England
NFC winner - Philly

Superbowl winner - New England
With a grand on each prop and the two hotest teams in football, its going to be a great season finish and Playoff race!!!! GO PATS!!!!