PDA

View Full Version : Another of those moral problems.....

slavic
12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
7 handed 10/20 game. The game was great the player in the 9 seat raised anything he would play, but when he had anything worth while he always said "oh I play bad" while putting in his raise, the player in the 5 seat to my right was nearing the end of his $2500 stack playing every hand for the last 10 hours, on my left was a player trying to avoid me, and to his left was a tight straight forward player who was taking some horrific bad beats from Mr, "ooh I play bad".

I'm in the BB with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I'm playing tight but the table does not take notice. Their is one player who has noticed he moved to my left and simply has avoided me. I raise he folds, it's quite nice.

UTG folds, our tight player limps, Mr "OIPB" raises without comment, folds to MR any two in the SB who calls, I call, Mr tight calls.

Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif x /images/graemlins/club.gif

any two checks, I bet, all call.

Turn Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

checks to me I bet, Mr Tight raises, OIPB folds as does MR any TWO, I 3 bet

Mr tight looks over at me and says "Are you serious?"

Ok folks what should I do?

Ed Miller
12-01-2003, 03:40 PM

You should smack yourself for 3-betting the guy with the nuts.

Tyler Durden
12-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I think the reason you haven't had any responses yet is because no one understands the moral dilemma. So what is it? All you're doing is reraising him. What's the big deal? If you could explain perhaps we'd be able to offer insight. You can't softplay anyone at the table.

SossMan
12-01-2003, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should pray that you hit one of your 9 outs to win or 2 outs to chop.

andyfox
12-01-2003, 03:53 PM
"the player in the 9 seat raised anything he would play"

I like that strategy!

"Mr tight looks over at me and says 'Are you serious?' Ok folks what should I do?

Smile and say nothing.

slavic
12-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Not everyone at the muckleshoot has to have the nuts to raise. I'm probably beat but not drawing dead.

nykenny
12-01-2003, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Are you serious?"

[/ QUOTE ]

say "i am only kidding" or "are you serious?" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slavic
12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
ok here is my problem, the guy looked over at me like a whipped dog. He can't believe his bad luck and he's seeing monsters.

Now I've been given the opportunity to end the hand here just by confirming his fears. Yea I already said it with a bet but for some reason putting it in words just felt wrong.

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
"Are you serious?"

No, I'm semi-bluffing.

GoT

Ed Miller
12-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Now I've been given the opportunity to end the hand here just by confirming his fears. Yea I already said it with a bet but for some reason putting it in words just felt wrong.

That's absurd. This is poker... say whatever you can to get your opponent to fold.

Ed Miller
12-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Not everyone at the muckleshoot has to have the nuts to raise. I'm probably beat but not drawing dead.

That's true... he doesn't have to have the nuts. But I don't put him on a play... especially when you hold a key "play" card, J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. He's got a big hand... at least AQ and very possibly a set or JT. This guy is weak-tight, but is raising AQ on the turn on a Q98 board? Then he's gonna fold it for a 3-bet? I guess he is given the tone of your story, but I think you are generally in pretty terrible shape when the tight player who is scared of you raises you on the turn on this board.

The 3-bet is fine if you think that he will raise AQ and fold to a 3-bet. I know of virtually no players who I can count on to play this way, though.

Schneids
12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Expose the jack and ask him if he's serious. That'll get him to fold his trip queens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slavic
12-01-2003, 05:07 PM
No way trip queens folds.

Ulysses
12-01-2003, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Say "No." and muck your hand.

LikesToLose
12-01-2003, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok here is my problem, the guy looked over at me like a whipped dog. He can't believe his bad luck and he's seeing monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

So many snappy comebacks:
I'm playing for money aren't I?
No, I'm drunk.
or the ever popular: "Potato Salad"

I'd confirm his fears and take the pot. Puppy dog eyes and all.
Mark

BK1248
12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
ILL CHECKRAISE MY OWN GRANDMOTHER IF SHES IN THE POT WITH ME. TELL HIM TO GO DOWN TO 2-4.

Michael J. Sykes
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem wrong to me as well to lie in this situation, and I would not do it. If you lie and the guy calls for a showdown anyway, it would create much bad will...especially if you suck-out on the river!

I think it would be best to say nothing.

-MJS

slavic
12-01-2003, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't call him scared of me but I have had him lay down to a check raise before, it was a 4/8 game on a scary board but he is capable of laying TPTK down.

I think he had KQ or AQ.

Depraved
12-01-2003, 08:41 PM
This is a great move - if you don't improve you can always check/fold on the river - you're exerting great pressure on a tight player who doesn't want to mess with you, which is what you want to be doing.

If anything, this play should get your more action with your real hands in the future.

sweetzer
12-01-2003, 10:37 PM
I am not sure if you are asking what to say or what to do. Your bet has already said whatever needs to be said. As to what to do, I disagree with the responders who put the tight player on QQ, as he only limped in preflop and didn't raise the flop. He may have JTs as a tight player limping in, in which case I would be surprised if he is saying anything while holding the nuts. Likely he has AQ and you are in good shape.

slavic
12-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Results -

He looked over and asked "queen no good" and I said "nope"

he mucked.

Mr "I play bad" ribbed him for the rest of the night that he let me bluff him. Of course Mr anytwo called down aces full with 44 because he didn't believe me.

trillig
12-02-2003, 11:03 AM
You had plenty of outs to kick his Q's booty so truth is, it could have gone either way, nice play. 8)

Good one on his questioning, I have been working on several NOT surprized canned answers to QUESTIONATORS at the table.

oh yeah, morals are checked at the door... not a problem! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-t