PDA

View Full Version : First hand at main game, KK (10-20 muckleshoot)

rharless
12-01-2003, 12:30 PM
At the main game, all of the action appears to be coming from seats 1 and 7-9, all unknown players to me. All the other players are pretty tight, which I know from being at the must move table with them.

I am called to the the main game in seat 4. My very first hand, I am dealt K/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG. I raise to $20.

All fold to seat 7. (For muckleshooters, his name is Bernie -- and no, not the 2+2 bernie.) He makes it $30.

All fold back to me. I decide that I can give up 1SB of EV preflop to play my hand deceptively, and I just call the $10. ($40 is the cap, so I can gain no more information by re-raising PF.)

When you have just sat down at the table, is it worth being deceptive on the very first hand? Or is it better to start off ABC, and then throw in a deceptive hand? Is it ok to risk the deceptiveness with KK against someone you don't know at all, out of position?

The hand:

Flop:

Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, he bets, I call planning to check-raise the turn. I have no read on if the flop hit him, or if he needed it to hit him.

Turn:

[Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

This seems like a good card to me.

I check, he bets, I raise, and he looks very surprised, and he calls. I'm still not sure what he has. I'm pretty sure I have him beat though, as he did not appear to give any thought to 3-betting. (Obviously, though, he could have AA/QQ/TT and be scared of diamonds.)

River:

[Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he eyes me suspiciously and calls.

Inthacup
12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Looks fine to me as long as you follow up by playing your hands fast from this point on.

Ed Miller
12-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I think you are in trouble against Bernie. His range of 3-betting hands is small indeed. I'd guess he has aces. It's possible that he decided to call you down with jacks after he spiked an open-ender on the turn, or that he has the other two kings.

rharless
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
I don't know if we are talking about the same bernie. Later in this session, he three-bet my UTG raise with AJo.

He left broke after going through almost two racks of chips.

same bernie?

rivaridge
12-01-2003, 03:12 PM
If its the tight Bernie (or I didnt know much about him) I would check raise the flop.
If its the loose Bernie I would (as you did) wait until the turn to check raise although with the third diamond falling I would be inclined to just bet the turn instead of check raising.

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2003, 03:27 PM
I don't like flat calling the 3-bet preflop for deception when I'm out of position. If I'm headsup with position, I do it every now and then, but it's hard to maximize any postflop profit that preflop deception may have earned you when you're out of position, as you found out.

GoT

Ed Miller
12-01-2003, 03:36 PM
same bernie?

Must not be. The one I'm talking about is weak-tight.

nykenny
12-01-2003, 04:28 PM
i would also just call the 3 bet sometimes, but bet in the dark before the flop hits. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rharless
12-01-2003, 06:10 PM
I think in this case, the post flop play was exactly what I was hoping for by giving up the 1SB preflop.

What do you think about the other half of the question? What do you think about doing this in the very first hand at the table, and forming this first impression? (Half of the seated players had played with me at the must move, but not for too long and none were in this hand.)

stripsqueez
12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
whether to cap pre-flop with KK or call a 3 bet for deceptive reasons reminds me of a Donoghue episode i once saw where the topic was the "emotional problems of supermodels"

first impressions are always the best - i would hardly count not capping your KK as wild and loopy enough to register much interest though

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

slavic
12-01-2003, 07:27 PM
bernie - bigger fellow wearing the type of huge sunglasses designed to cover perscription eyeglasses?

rharless
12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
yes, though I didn't know he had other glasses underneath /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When he busted out, is when you were called to the main game, I think

Depraved
12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
The identity of your hand is worth much more than 1 small bet. You played it perfectly.

rharless
12-02-2003, 12:52 AM
I lost to loose bernie, with the sunglasses.

He had J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the flush.

Of course my first reaction was disappointment to lose the hand.

As I kept thinking about the hand after the session, though, I was annoyed with the fact that the majority of the time, I am missing out on a preflop SB from him that will be hard to make up PF against his hand.

slavic
12-02-2003, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't put him as tight, I always thought he played too many hands but he doesn't normally get too far out of line. I've never seen him 3 bet with anything short of a large pocket pair.

He use to drop 3 or 4 racks in the 4/8 at a time so I was a little suprised to see him in the 10/20. Not disapointed but a little suprised.

I see so many action players head for the 20/40 game I have to believe it's a good game in the evenings but I also know it's beyond my roll and there are a couple guys I don't want to tangle with. It's a shame they killed off the 15/30.

trillig
12-02-2003, 10:48 AM
One of the many reasons I hate KK. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have had them cracked more than QQ/JJ/TT combined, I swear. 8)

JT is one of my own favs though.

-t

slavic
12-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I've seen a handfull of players capping with JT's lately. Is this something new and trendy?

Sunday morning I reraised and opener with AA, he capped it with another poor guy for the ride.

Flop comes JTT I figured something was wrong when he 3-bet the turn.

rharless
12-02-2003, 01:00 PM
The funny thing is I thought I was being Little Miss Deceptive with my KK.

Little did I know who was really being deceived /images/graemlins/confused.gif