PDA

View Full Version : online poker is beautiful

daryn
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
my newest toy thanks to party poker:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~milenko/dw.jpg

thomastem
12-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Ok now it's time to vote. What is more impressive, Daryn's drum set or Eugeneel's 18K car?

OrangeHeat
12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Very Nice Daryn!

Partypoker has just bought me a 30" theatre screen HDTV, a nice new computer chair, and a spanking 21" monitor...

Gotta love online poker!! What has everyone else been buying lately??

thomastem
12-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry I missed Orange Heat's 30 incher. Please vote on that as well. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OrangeHeat
12-01-2003, 11:29 AM
hehe ROFLMAO - I would think everyone wants a 30 incher - has to be more impressive than the drums and car...

Really though - I do not send all of the profits to frivolousness...I invest most of it for retirement and the kids college.

Orange

daryn
12-01-2003, 11:43 AM
how funny you should say this, i was totally deciding between this kit or a huge HDTV /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
12-01-2003, 11:44 AM
man.. this set is stunning, but it's only roughly 1/5th the value of eugenes car, then again it's not about money!

Deicer.
12-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Hey
Can I have my drum set, 30" theatre screen HDTV, computer chair, 21" monitor and my car back, please ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
12-01-2003, 02:16 PM
I was able to get one of those tasty Pretzel Ham Sandwiches and a Hamburger from Sheetz with my poker winnings, but then again I did have a free coupon for them.

all_aces
12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
"What else have people been buying lately" - OrangeHeat

I'm relatively young (in my 20's) and am currently renting an apartment. It would give me a lot of satisfaction to be able to buy a house with my poker winnings, so that's my goal. 'This is the house that poker built'.

Also I plan on using some of it to attend this year's WSOP. I've never been to Vegas, and I think my girlfriend would enjoy herself there. Without seeing much of me, of course. I plan to play a couple of 1k and 2k buy-in events, and play some sats. for the main event. I think that buying in for 10k at the main event may very well be a waste of money, given the tough competition. If I win my way in though, who knows... maybe I'll be the next Chris Moneymaker. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

OrangeHeat
12-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Buying a house sounds good!

As for the WSOP I definitely wouldn't drop the whole 10k for the entry - but like you said if you can win a satellite that would be awesome. Even if you don't win you can always tell the grandkids you played in the WSOP....although by that time it seems half of America will have played in it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm not one to ruffle feathers, but so when Eugeenel brags about his poker-funded pickup, he's pompous and needs to shut up. But when daryn does the same, it's sweet and cool and way to go?

Not that I have a problem with either of them sharing their purchases, but I find the discrepency a bit odd.

GoT

OrangeHeat
12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
I didn't think Daryn was bragging - just sharing what he has done with money. There have been a number of posts here and there with people sharing what they have done with poker money.

Eugeneel was saying he was awesome because he had an $18,000 car....I think there was a difference in intent...but then again I think paying cash for an $18,000 car is a waste of good investment dollars too...

mrpurple
12-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Don' remeber Eugenes post. But, I haven't been here a long time either.

Darrins post didn't strike my as a brag. Just hey look at this cool stuff.
Myself, I've been making serious headway into credit cards that paid for the fun stuff that currently lives in my house. More toys will come soon enough.

Nice set Darrin, back in the day I kicked out a cllege roomate for buying a set like that. probably not as nice though.

Inthacup
12-01-2003, 04:42 PM
but then again I think paying cash for an $18,000 car is a waste of good investment dollars too...

This doesn't make any sense to me. What exactly are you saying here? The only things I can conclude from what you've said are:

1. You think he should buy a cheaper car
2. He shouldn't pay upfront in cash(as opposed to some sort of financing plan) because he can put that money in some sort of investment.

If you feel #1 is true, then that's your opinion and you have a right to feel that way.

If you feel #2, I have to disagree. I think paying cash for a car is the ideal situation. You don't have to pay any interest and you own the car from day one. He can now invest the extra few grand that he just saved interest. Am I missing something here?

fwiw, I don't mind Daryn sharing what he's used his poker money for. I think it's cool to see what people have purchased from online poker. However, as a general rule, I agree that no one should ever say "I'm good because I bought this"

Cup

rusty JEDI
12-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Cant get the image feature to work so see it here (http://store5.yimg.com/I/treadmills_1767_757299)

This is what i got this past week. During the winter up here there is basically never a good enough day to go for a run, and the winters are loooooong.

My first purchase was the massive student loan so this was my first real poker purchase.

I have now nominated December as laptop month. Every dollar earned is going to a laptop and the quality of the laptop will be determined by the amount i win in December.

Paluka
12-01-2003, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you feel #2, I have to disagree. I think paying cash for a car is the ideal situation. You don't have to pay any interest and you own the car from day one. He can now invest the extra few grand that he just saved interest. Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

He thinks that the rate of return you can get investing is higher than the interest you pay on a car loan.

LetsRock
12-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Well, my goal is to get my poker winnings up to about $20K. Then I could justify dropping half of it on a WSOP entry. I know I'd probably get my but kicked, but it's kinda one of those "sure like to do that someday" deals.

If my win rate continues as it has, I'm aiming for 2005!

Nice kit Daryn! (what in the hell do you do with all them pedals?)

itsmarty
12-01-2003, 05:04 PM
I bought a new dishwasher and am about to get a new dryer (as much as I'm sure I'll miss "old squeaky"). The summer winnings went for a four day Vegas blowout, though, so I don't feel too badly /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
i don't think eugene was bragging when he mentioned the car he bought, i think he was just saying he spent some money for some reason. if someone can bring up his exact post, everyone will see it's not bragging.

as for me, i am just excited like a little kid to have this set.

daryn
12-01-2003, 05:50 PM
ha.. i need one of these.

Inthacup
12-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Are you in a band?

daryn
12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
i was in a band, we played a couple gigs but college is getting in the way. i suppose that's not a bad thing though.. but as soon as college is done (3 weeks if i'm lucky) i'll be on the prowl for a serious band. the degree can always wait.. no expiration date on them last time i checked. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

as for all those pedals, the set shown is definitely a bit excessive.. there are two different hi-hats, one on the left and one on the right that is hooked up through some cable, how crazy.. all i need are 3 pedals really. you have to have double bass right? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paluka
12-01-2003, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was in a band, we played a couple gigs but college is getting in the way. i suppose that's not a bad thing though.. but as soon as college is done (3 weeks if i'm lucky) i'll be on the prowl for a serious band.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of music are you hoping to play?

daryn
12-01-2003, 07:24 PM
of course this question is asked all the time, and i always just say "rock music". i don't know what that means, as there are so many styles of music around today, but i guess take it for what it is. rock.

OrangeHeat
12-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Inthacup

1. I don't have any opinion on what price anybody should pay for a car - it is up to that person. I have paid more and less for cars - depends what you like.

2. Interest rates on car loans these days are 0%, 1.9% , maybe up to 4%, etc... very low. If he borrowed for the car and he invested the $18,000 he should make more on his investment than he has paid in interest after the four or five years the loan was taken out for.

Better?

Orange

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
you have to have double bass right?

Yes. Double bass is a must. Also, good to see the 8-inch. The only thing I don't like is your china and hats. I've grown to hate Sabian's sound in both. K's are where it's at for chinas and hats. I'm also assuming the ride won't be placed as shown since you're only playing the right-handed hats?

GoT

Abagadro
12-01-2003, 08:09 PM
If the financing is any percent above zero for the term of the loan, he is generally better off paying cash. Buying a deprecitating asset on credit is never a very good idea. In fact, it is one of the worst financial moves you can make. Anything that will provide a higher return than most loans also has risk, plus having to pay taxes on any gain, which would likely negate any potential advantage of the low loan rate. Just my opinion though.

daryn
12-01-2003, 08:24 PM
well this is just a stock picture from dw's website.. not my actual set up. the drums are the same but those are not my cymbals or anything. i have an all zildjian set up, no china yet but i'm working on it. my hi hats are on the left, standard. the picture actually has two sets of hi hats. also i play an open style, so my ride goes on the left along with my hi hats, kinda unconventional.

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2003, 08:50 PM
my goal is to get my poker winnings up to about $20K. Then I could justify dropping half of it on a WSOP entry.

Dropping half of your hard-earned bankroll on one tournament event in which you'll be facing WCP's is ill-advised. I think you'll probably think about it differently when you actually build your bankroll up to $20k. Mine's just over that mark, and I can't imagine spending what would amount to be 150 hours worth of work or so on such a -EV proposition for myself.

GoT

eugeneel
12-01-2003, 09:19 PM
First of all, I used the cash on me as a bargaining tool which helped me bring the price down several thousand.

I think that the interest on car loans that the dealer's offer are usually very high and that the 1.9% type of offers are promotions. This means that the dealership can drop the price of the car by a very good amount OR give you the low interest financing.

I just bought 2 cruise tickets to the Caribbean islands from princess cruise lines (the only company that lets under 21 year olds on).
This was a gift for my girlfriend's birthday (I know I'm soooo sweet) and he cruise leaves from Puerto Rico, where we'll be spending an extra few days. I can't say that this clearly comes from my poker winnings as I have been playing very little lately (very hard accounting classes) and have been making money from my affiliate deals.

I will be sending payments later tonight everyone.

-Eugene

MS Sunshine
12-01-2003, 10:24 PM
"I have now nominated December as laptop month."

I second the nomination. My laptop's mother board died today.

sigh.

MS Sunshine

Gomez22
12-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Just to hear all the cool things you guys get with poker winnings almost gives me a little wood!!!! I make enough to get by, but there are LOTS of nice things in life I;d like to have, jsut can't afford right now. I really like seeing things that everyone gets with their poker-winnings, sorta like a miniature bonus-point catalog or something! Anyways, since I just started playing back in August, I'm up a total of $1700 (maybe $1000 of this from .50/1.00 spread over 3-4 sites). I'd kinda like to cash out and use this for X-mas, but I also want to keep playing the 1/2 & 2/4 levels I have made with my winnings. I'd also like to get a sweet plasma HDTV or something nice like that, so I'll probably keep the money in the accounts and try to keep winning.

Nice set, Daryn...... hope you enjoy it!

PS - It may not mean anything, but I had a band in college, also...... played lead guitar, and taught at a local music store for 2 years! Used all my teaching money to buy a Fender American Standard Strat, 4 different BOSS pedals, and a crate 2x12 50 watt amp-combo unit (I think... haven't played in about 4 years, but this is what I remember it being, although it could be 100 watt - not sure).

Vehn
12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
http://www.slumberland.com/images/products_page/products/PTHORL4.jpg

*sigh*

pretender2k
12-02-2003, 04:53 AM
To start nice set daryn. Someday I want to buy a set too but it's for the wife (did I say that out loud).

But seriously as a starting player grinding out a bankroll on the quarter tables it's really nice on a bad night to see that there is a reason to do this. Kudos to to anyone who buys themselves something you earned it you spend it.

OrangeHeat
12-02-2003, 05:29 PM
It's close depending on your comfort with risk - Look at it this way:

1. Whether you pay cash for the car or take a loan it will dpereciate the same amount over 5 years..lets say after 5 years 50%.

Avenue 1 - Pay $18000 cash after 5 yrs you have $9,000 in assets

Avenue 2- You invest the 18,000 and get a car loan for 5%. Over the 5 years you will have paid $20,381 for the car.

If your investment averages 7% for five years it will have $23,410. After taxes you will have $21,570. So you have the car for $9000 and an extra $1200 after five years. Total 10,200.

If you can do say 10% (very possible) investing this figure rises to $13451 compared to the $9000 paying cash. And the extra 4500 in cash will earn compounding interest until you need it. (after 10 years at 7% 4500 could just about double).

Of course the stock market could crash and you can lose but over five years I am willing to take the risk.

Ed Miller
12-02-2003, 09:18 PM

Simon Diamond
12-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I missed this thread first time round... Not to be outdone, here is what I got with the prize money from the last KotZ.

http://www.simongreig.com/pics/lada.jpg

Cool or what.

Simon

daryn
12-03-2003, 10:29 PM
wow how much did you win?

ramjam
12-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Poser!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/8330/aleg2.gif

Simon Diamond
12-03-2003, 10:42 PM
A few hundred. I know the car looks like a bit of a banger, but it's mint - trust me.

Well, thats what the guy who was selling it said anyway. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Simon

Simon Diamond
12-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Arggghhhhh!!! Look what I missed out on! Now I'm jealous /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Check out the speed...

http://www.simongreig.com/pics/alstem.gif

Nice one /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

BigBluffer
12-16-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm getting married in two weeks. Second time around - I figure the first time was practice -- this is for keeps!

Last week I booked a honeymoon cruise using my last six weeks' winning from TGC. Thank you guys very much. What a wonderful, thoughtful wedding present. I'm sure we'll be thinking of you as we're cruising the Caribbean.

I wanted to include a JPG of the ship, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Any hints?

crockpot
12-16-2003, 01:04 PM
and you took a hiatus why? soon you'll have enough to start your own one-man band.

daryn
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
yeah, i hear it.. it was that little thing called college.. how bad.