PDA

View Full Version : Call or fold with $2400 in the line

sirio11
12-01-2003, 06:41 AM
NL PP tournament 50+5 692 players, 3 players left, 3rd=$2400, 2nd=$4800 and 1st=$8000

Board is A55Q with 3 spades, I have KQ with the K spades, pot is 86K by now, chip leader bet all in, I have 77K left, blinds are 5-10K and the other guy (not in the pot) has about 110K. What is the right play. I called, but I had the sense that I was beaten at that moment (chip leader didn't make before crazy all in bets). Do you think was the right play despite the $2400 difference?

I really dont have an answer by now, the chip leader had T9 spades and the flush made. What would you do in this spot?

David

curmudgeon
12-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Have the sense that you are beaten......... you probably are! FOLD!

It's tough to make the right decision in the heat of battle.
Move on.........

p.s.
How did the betting go?
Did you raise enough pre-flop?!
If you are willing to go all-in with second pair, against a solid player, when the board is paired and flush, then you should consider all-in pre-flop.... it's a much smaller risk.

M.B.E.
12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
In no-limit holdem you cannot call a big bet on the turn with the nut flush draw. There are very few exceptions to that. I realize you had a pair as well, but in this scenario that's almost irrelevant. Don't forget the board's paired. There's a chance you are drawing dead.

Ignatius
12-01-2003, 11:54 PM
It's impossible to give an informed judgement w/o knowing how the hand developed. If you know that you are behind, then this is an automatic fold as you cannot possibly have proper odds to call in this spot which would require at least 15 outs to win. Given that there's a considerable premium on survival, I'd say that you should fold unless you think to be ahead more than 1/3 of the times and there's no reason to suspect that he's already full.

sirio11
12-02-2003, 04:08 AM
Hi all!

Thanks for all the responses, I have to agree with you that the best play was to fold, but maybe not as clearly as some of you state, because you'd get killed 3-handed if you consistently fold in these kind of spots, and at the moment the hand came up, I was doing the most folding (basically because of no cards at all) and they were playing a solid agresive style. Let me tell you the full deveploment of the hand.
PP 50+5 Tournament, 692 entrants, 1st = $8000, 2nd = $4800, 3rd = $2400.
Chip leader, about 470K in the SB, other guy, 110K left after posting the BB and I'm in the button with 120K. Blinds were 5K-10K
I have KsQc and raise to 28K, LB calls, BB folds. Pot = 66K. Flop is A55 with 2 spades, LB bets 15K, my first thought was folding, but I sensed weekness in the bet, so I decided just to call, if he checks the turn with any card, then I make a decent bet and hopefully he folds, I have tried this play before with good results. Pot is now 96K. I have left 77K. Turn is Qs and he bets about 90K and obviously I dont like it and start to think (as fast as I could). He doesn't seem to be the type of player that makes crazy all in bets, but he looks like a reasonable player that can make that bet with something like 6s6h, hoping I have the A with no spades, to make me fold; specially because the size of his stack; if he loses, he still has 360K left. I would make this kind of play with any little pair with 1 spade and that stack; and that would explain his little bet in the flop. I would like to hear what do you think about this last analysis.
I decided to call, river was irrelevant and I was 3rd, about 5 hands later, he finished the other guy.
Some of you said that I had enough to wait, I'm really not sure of that, after just 2 rounds more (5 hands) I was going to be down to 47K, an amount pretty easily called with any hand with a 500K + stack; and then it would be a flip coin (not exactly, but close) just to be back at 94K if I won.
Anyway, I still think that the right play was to fold, and maybe I just overanalized the hand.

David C.

"Life is a miracle, no death is meaningless"

crockpot
12-02-2003, 04:15 AM
i'd fold. i don't even think i would make this call in a ring game, and in a tournament it is an even worse play. whatever your opponent's hand, you do not have more than 12 outs, and you are not getting the odds to call. plus, even if you have a borderline call, you are losing EV in a tournament (to the third player) by making this call.

how did the pot get so big? i'm going to assume you bluffed the flop and he called with his flush draw.

sirio11
12-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Read my 2nd post, there is the full development of the hand

David C