PDA

View Full Version : Button raise gone bad.

Nottom
12-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Party 2/4 - Game is pretty standard.

I'm sittin gon the button with J9s. Folded to Co who limps, I smell weakness and raise. SB folds, BB calls. CO limp-reraises. Apparently my smeller is broken.

I ponder my options for a bit and decide that I'm still on the button and call. BB calls.

Flop: J 6 5 - rainbow
BB checks, CO checks, the CO scares me and I check.

Turn: 9 - well that helps.
BB bets, CO calls /images/graemlins/confused.gif, I raise, both call.

River: 3
Checked to me I bet, both call.

Thoughts?

Bob T.
12-01-2003, 01:51 AM
I would have bet the flop, when it got checked to me. CO might be on of those players who limp-reraise with suited connectors or small pairs.

lil'
12-01-2003, 10:11 AM
I would just bet the flop. Your hand is not good enough to risk giving a free card here.

Mike28a
12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Smells like a pair of 7s to me.

Nottom
12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
I was pretty sure I was the one that needed the free card.

Joe Tall
12-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Bet the flop looks like the CO is a strange one and re-raised with a raggy small pair.

Peace,
JT

Aces McGee
12-01-2003, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like the CO is a strange one and re-raised with a raggy small pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks that way now, but would you have been able to tell that just by his check on the flop?

I would've bet the flop to see just how much CO liked his hand, but not because I thought he was holding a small pair.

McGee

Joe Tall
12-01-2003, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks that way now, but would you have been able to tell that just by his check on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've just seen this move a few times before, athough the check helps some.

Peace,
JT

Nottom
12-01-2003, 03:14 PM
When I was re-raised preflop my big pair detector was flashing. This really seemed like a "I don't want to scare everybody out and only steal the blinds with my big hand, so I'll limp ... oh wait that guy on the button raised now I get to 3-bet him ... cool" play from the CO. I figured he would have open raised with a suited connector or smaller pair instead of limp-reraising if he was one of them crazy limp-reraise with those hands guys (if he wasn't in the CO I think this is a bigger possibility). Granted this was just what my gut was telling me so I went with that read.

When he checked the flop, I was thinking "You're not going to get me that easily!" and checked to avoid the (what I believed) obvious checkraise attempt.

But then he didn't raise the BBs turn bet, which again confused me. Maybe he had AK or TT or something /images/graemlins/crazy.gif who knows, all I know is that I have top two pair so I get to raise now.

Turns out my original read was right and he had one of the strangest KK's I had ever seen. BB had J7.

ropey
12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smells like a pair of 7s to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way...definately a pair of 8's.

-ropey