PDA

View Full Version : AQo

Aquarius
12-01-2003, 01:45 AM
6-12 live game

I had just gotten to this game for about 20 minutes, so I don’t have a great read on the players yet. All folded to late MP player who raises; he could open raise with a variety of hands. SB calls. I have AQo in the BB. I call. Flop comes Q-x-x. SB checks, I bet, MP raises, SB folds, I 3-bet, he calls. Turn is a J, I bet. He folds.

Thoughts. I didn’t 3-bet preflop because I wanted to keep the pot small, and I didn’t think it would get heads-up. I gave some consideration to just calling the raise and either leading out check-raising the turn, but decided against it. I wonder if I missed an extra bet or two by 3-betting the flop and giving my hand away too early? If he had exactly KQ, then I have given up a lot.

All input is appreciated

Bob T.
12-01-2003, 01:57 AM
He didn't have exactly KQ, and your play is probably correct. You can't call, and then check the turn, and risk a free card. So if you are going to lead on the turn, and that is right, you may as well three bet the flop. By playing your way, you may have won an extra small bet, if he was folding to a turn bet anyway.

Bob T.
12-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Actually the more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if he had AT.

Aquarius
12-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but is there a chance he could have had AK? I could see raising with overcards, but then slowing down after my 3-bet indicating to him that either he's drawing slim against two pair that i've got one of his overcards.

In that case, do I want him to fold? I could now see him semi-bluffing the turn with what could be two overcards and a straight draw (if I don't 3-bet him on the flop). I c/r the turn and he may get tied to the pot?

Just thinking aloud